We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park To Open At Noon on Wednesday

Level Contributor
1,260 posts
Save Topic
Park To Open At Noon on Wednesday

The State of Tennessee and North Carilina have agreed to fund the Park operations, at least for a few days. It should open at noon tomorrow and stay open for the rest of the week at least.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park To Open At Noon on Wednesday

Noon? They reported at midnight it would open on WATE news out of Knoxville.

I'm sure noon or midnight it will be a hot mess in the park.

Level Contributor
1,260 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Park To Open At Noon on Wednesday

The official GSMNP twitter said "noon". I thought that was strange. I'm thinking whoever runs that may not know the difference between 12 am and 12 pm. :-)

Edited: 7:03 pm, October 15, 2013
Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park To Open At Noon on Wednesday

BUT! What's gonna happen this coming weekend? Are we going to be facing another possible lock-out?

Ray

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
962 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park To Open At Noon on Wednesday

Ray, the current arrangement authorizes opening for a 5 day period - today ( 16th) until the 21st of October which would cover this weekend. http://origin.library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1101741219176-457/Park+Reopening.pdf "The state of Tennessee, working in partnership with Blount and Sevier counties, is donating funds to the National Park Service for the sole purpose of enabling National Park Service employees to reopen and manage Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The agreement funds the park for a period of 5 days, running from October 16 through October 21 at the donated amount of $300,500."

Edited: 5:54 am, October 16, 2013
Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park To Open At Noon on Wednesday

I'm so glad to see progress has been made in re-opening the park for this week and weekend. But if no permanent settlement is reached, then I guess we're back to square one, right? I certainly hope they can find a permanent solution to this mess. We are scheduled to take our vacation this up-coming November 2nd thru the 8th. We reserve this time each year to visit the smokies. So you can understand our anxiety at thisd situation.

Ray

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
489 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park To Open At Noon on Wednesday

2 emails I received this morning on the Park re-opening.

Pigeon Forge Chamber of Commerce

campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render…

Tennessee Department of Tourism

app.bronto.com/public/…

7. Re: Park To Open At Noon on Wednesday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 18, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...