We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting area next week with many kids- things to do

Chicago
Level Contributor
108 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting area next week with many kids- things to do

Hi, we will be coming for a family reunion of sorts next week. We are staying in a large cabin in Sevierville and will be in the area for 5 nights. We plan to spend a couple of days in the park doing hikes and driving around. Kids range in age from 5-14 and we will have our aunt who is 74 yrs. but in good health. She may sit out a few of the activities.

So far, we are planning on

-Laurel Falls hike

-Spruce Fir Trail

-Grotto Falls

- visiting Cades Cove (in the morning)

-visiting Clingmans Dome

Are there other things we should be seeing/doing in the park?

Would kids enjoy the Walker Sisters Cabin? How much time should we allow for that?

Outside of the park, we are planning a day at Dollywood- would you recommend anything else?

Thanks!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
758 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting area next week with many kids- things to do

I assume next week will be slightly busy in the area due to spring breaks. Stop in at the Sugarlands Visitor Center, its just as you come into the GSMNP from Gatlinburg. Museum here, free. We like to drive the Roaring Fork Motor Trail (located few miles from red light #8, Gatlinburg) and visit the Greenbrier area off of hwy. 321, Gatlinburg-going towards Cosby TN. area. Both areas are just as beautiful as the rest of the GSMNP and will have less traffic/congestion. In Pigeon Forge (and G-burg too) there are several put-put golf, go-cart tracks, etc. thru out the towns. Throughout the GSMNP there is several "easy walk" areas called "Quiet-Walks" The main road in the GSMNP is temporarily closed, just past the Clingmans Dome Road going into Cherokee NC. It maybe open by now, I've not heard, but they had a rock/mtn. slide up there a few months ago. So if you are planning on going into Cherokee, check on the road conditions before heading over there thru the park. Otherwise you will have to take I-40 to get over there. Another great place to visit (and its part of the GSMNP too) is Catalochee Valley, But you have to get to it from NC side, just off I-40. Exit 20 I think. Its similar to Cades Cove & Roaring Fork Motor Trail, except its not one-way road over there.

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting area next week with many kids- things to do

It sounds like you have a great trip planned! The CLIMB Works zip lines east of Gatlinburg are amazing, if pricey. If it rains on a day you planned to hike, the Tuckaleechee Caverns are a good alternative outing for those who can handle stairs. You might not be able to visit Clingman's Dome next week--the road is still closed for the season.

Edited: 6:55 pm, March 17, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting area next week with many kids- things to do

Correction--the Clingman's Dome Road has been open this season, but is temporarily closed. Check the NPS web site before you go for road closure alerts. See nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting area next week with many kids- things to do

Roaring Fork won't be open until April 12th according to the Park Website.

Chicago
Level Contributor
108 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting area next week with many kids- things to do

Thanks for all of the information and the ideas! The Tuckaleechee Caverns sound fun. I believe Clingman's Dome is where we saw the best views last time- if it is still temporarily closed- is there any place else that you would suggest to see the typical "smoky" mountain views that the area is famous for?

Thanks!

6. Re: Visiting area next week with many kids- things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 20, 2014