We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need specific info on the loops in Elkmont Campground please

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
151 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Need specific info on the loops in Elkmont Campground please

We have a 30 ft. travel trailer and want to camp at Elkmont in May. Never having camped there before, I can't tell from the map which are the most desirable loops. We could stay in any site that will accommodate an RV, and depending on availability at this point we would be interested in the sites that allow generators and/or those that don't.

I'd appreciate it if someone would give me their recommendation on the best place(s) to stay in the campground. Thanks!

nashville
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need specific info on the loops in Elkmont Campground please

the spots on the river are the most desirable. it's a little inconsistent, but if you click on the individual sites it should tell you the max RV length. if it doesn't give that in the breakdown... look at the "Notes". the sites with the truck-lookin icon are RV-capable... the tee-pee-lookin icons are the tent-only sites.

a lot of them don't accommodate over 25-27 feet, but F001 and F006 for example have 35ft as the max (and they're right on the river).

Edited: 9:55 am, January 25, 2013
Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
963 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need specific info on the loops in Elkmont Campground please

Hey fiddle! This map may help to focus your search by showing the sites that accomodate larger RVs then you can go to the individual site on recreation.gov for more info on a specific site. nps.gov/grsm/…Elkmont2.pdf. The G loop is out by the main road so there will be more traffic noise at times, CDE and F will get some walk by foot traffic in the evenings in late May for the synchronized fireflies . JKL and M are nice because they are a bit out of the way and some nice sites on the outer loop here. A site on CDF or J on the water would be a nice find.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
151 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need specific info on the loops in Elkmont Campground please

ashepabst & tnoutdrsmn...

Sorry, I just now figured out how to get back here to find the responses. Thanks for taking the time to help me. The problem is that none of the sites on the water were available to reserve online. Weird. I remember driving through the campground a few years ago, and the sites on the water looked great. We ended up finding a large site in Loop C, and I'm hopeful that since we're arriving during the week, we may be able to switch out for another site on the water. And this time we'll make note of the sites we like most for future reference. Thanks again!

nashville
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need specific info on the loops in Elkmont Campground please

wow, already booked-up in May, huh? you guys coming over Memorial Weekend or something?

yeah, if nothing's available on the river or a side creek, i always look for the larger or more private spots... spots on the end of a row or on the outside of the loop with the woods as your neighbor.

...hope you guys have a nice trip.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
151 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need specific info on the loops in Elkmont Campground please

ashepabst......No, we'll actually be leaving before Mem. Day weekend. And I'm not sure the sites were actually all booked, but you just couldn't reserve the sites along the river from online. Don't know why......so we'll try to get there early in the day and try to get one of them when we get there. Thanks!

6. Re: Need specific info on the loops in Elkmont Campground please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...