We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July trip, best places to visit park considering closures

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
59 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
July trip, best places to visit park considering closures

I was planning on going to the Smoky Mt nat'l last year but things got sidelined. This year is a sure bet. As a matter of fact I already did reservations in nearby hotels but now I hear there are closures. What are the best places to see the park considering the closures? I have two days available before continuing my road trip. I would love to have a visit to a stream or falls one day and a high elevation where I can see the mountain on a second day. Thank you!

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
472 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July trip, best places to visit park considering closures

The last I heard the closures were going to be pretty well opened again by the first of June. You can double check the smokey mt website, it has the info on closures, but the Knoxville newspaper stated the closures should be thru May only for Cades Cove, and such.

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Cades Cove
Cades Cove
4,328 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
472 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July trip, best places to visit park considering closures

nps.gov/grsm/…park-road-map14h.gif

Here is the site for the Natl. Park. It does list the intended closure dates and I think by July it looks like most of them will be open by July. Clingman's Dome is a great high altitude spot, great view, and a short hike from the parking lot. Also, Abrams Falls is a popular and pretty trail to follow, obviously with the Falls. Anyway, hope this helps.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July trip, best places to visit park considering closures

I think where do go depends mainly on which side your road trip will bring you by. The park is pretty big, so it wouldn't be worth it to cross all the way to the other side when there's good hiking on the side closer to you. And there are great water and view hikes in all areas.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,627 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July trip, best places to visit park considering closures

All areas of the park will be open by July as stated, so you should be able to visit any area of the park you like.

I would suggest Cades Cove, Roaring Fork Motor Trail, a trip over Newfound Gap road between Sugarlands and Oconaluftee visitor centers, and if you dare to do a mountain hike, try Alum Cave trail or Chimney Tops.

Mentioned in this post
Cades Cove
Cades Cove
4,328 Reviews
Roaring Fork
Roaring Fork
1,270 Reviews
Newfound Gap Road
Newfound Gap Road
629 Reviews
Alum Cave Trail
Alum Cave Trail
311 Reviews
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
59 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July trip, best places to visit park considering closures

Thanks for all your help. I can't wait to go. Also, while doing some moving of boxes I found a news article that talks about the park on the travel section. I had it put away a year earlier. Together I can finally have the itinerary ready.

6. Re: July trip, best places to visit park considering closures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, September 26, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...