We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in the park.....what to see & do?

New York
Level Contributor
94 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
1 day in the park.....what to see & do?

Hello. I am moving from New York to Montana and plan on taking a 2 week road trip in order to bring my car there. I would love to see the Great Smoky Mountains NP on my way and since I am limited in my time, I am wondering what would be the best way to spend my time here? I will only have 1 day here and would love to take a hike here (easy-moderate) or see anything that is a "must-see" in my 1 day time in the park......any ideas????? Thanks, Lauren

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in the park.....what to see & do?

For your one day, I would suggest that you go to Cades Cove. It is a very popular place to visit in the Park, but for a good reason. It's a beautiful mountain valley. You will be able to see wildlife and some amazing vistas. The Abrams Falls trail is a moderate hike with a waterfall at the end ot the trail. This is what I would do if I had only one day.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day in the park.....what to see & do?

Cades cove and the falls like the above. But always be ready to stop along the road and look.

John

New York
Level Contributor
94 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day in the park.....what to see & do?

Thanks guys....I will head to Cades Cove. I appreciate the advice. Lauren

New York
Level Contributor
94 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day in the park.....what to see & do?

I was just on the NPS website and saw that the Cades Cove Loop road will be closed during the time I plan to be there (late April). The Clingmans Dome road and the Roaring Fork Motor Trail will also be closed. All due to paving. Should I stil go or plan my visit for another time? If you think I should still go, where should I head now that these roads will be closed? Thanks for ANY input. Lauren

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day in the park.....what to see & do?

There is so much more to see than just Cades Cove, Clingmans dome and roaring Fork. Make a day trip and go see the Elk at Cataloochee. Go to deep creek or any of the many neat places in the park.

Go to the web site www.SmokiesInformation.org and order the book Smokies Road Guide. Also there are several good books on this site. The site is for the Great Smoky Mountain Association which is a non profit group .

When you get this book and the others they offer you will then have to sit down and decide which areas you want to see. you will discover that there is more to see and do than you have time. I look at mine and daydream all the time.

I would just like to add that I am not connected to this group in any way. I just feel they offer some very good information on the area.

John

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day in the park.....what to see & do?

For first time I would go to Sugarlands Visitors Center then drive the main road thru the mountains Newfond Gap Road stopping at Newfond Gap pull over, the next pull over right past Clingmans Dome Road, then drive all the way thru to Oconaluftee Mountain Farm Museum. There will be many other pull overs you will want to stop at to get pictures. Only pull over on the ones on your side, (road is to curvy) get the other ones on the way back. If you still have time when you get back then I would drive Little river Road.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day in the park.....what to see & do?

Ditto John; there's way more to the park than the standard auto tours. Where to go depends on which area of the park will be most convenient for your route. I recommend Tremont, Deep Creek, and Cataloochee.

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day in the park.....what to see & do?

When are you traveling and will you be alone? I would never go to Cataloochee alone, and would not go with someone in the winter. The roads are to dangerous.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day in the park.....what to see & do?

I personally wouldn't call the roads into Cataloochee dangerous. They're fairly narrow and have a very steep shoulder at times, but if a person drives contentiously and doesn't have acrophobia there's no reason to worry.

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day in the park.....what to see & do?

Before deciding to go to Cataloochee, do a search on these threads and see what other people admit about the narrow extremely curvy some times gravel roads.

Blue have you your self drove the roads? Are you old enough to drive? Do you consider anything dangerous?

Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...