We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snow a problem at end of october??

NH
Level Contributor
478 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
snow a problem at end of october??

My DH and I are thinking about visiting the Smokey Mountains in late Oct/early Nov. Will hiking be difficult due to snow?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: snow a problem at end of october??

You never know what mother nature will bring, but it's been my experience that during that time of year snow is not a problem. You may have a chance for it at the higher elevations, but I would not consider it a difficulty. Unless you are doing some of the higher elevation hikes, like Mt. LeConte etc. I wouldn't worry about it.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snow a problem at end of october??

It would be very unusual to experience problems due to snow in the Smokies in late October/early November. Usually the first snow that falls on the higher peaks is in late November/early December. This area gets most of its snowfall in January/February rather than November/December, but it is not impossible to see some snow that early in the year. Let me know if you need some hiking suggestions. You can also join the nationalparkschat.com page to get some great info. from others. smokies_hiker completed a wonderful, informative FAQ section under the Great Smoky Mountains forum. Visit it at http://nationalparkschat.com/phpBB/index.php

Sean

NH
Level Contributor
478 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snow a problem at end of october??

Thank you! I will definately check out those links.

And I'd love any hiking suggestions. My DH can handle anything...he is super fit. Me...not as much. I'd prefer moderate but I'm willing to do strenuous...just makes me a bit cranky. :) But I have completed some strenuous hikes in the past. My knees just aren't very happy at the end of it...miniscus problems.

Hikes to waterfalls or beautiful views would be great!!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snow a problem at end of october??

For a strenuous hike, one of the best choices would be Mount LeConte. It is the 3rd highest peak in the park, and there are actually cabins and a little store up at the top. This requires at least a 10 mile roundtrip hike, but it is one of my favorite in the park. You can access Mount LeConte from several trails, but I would pick the Rainbow Falls Trail or Alum Cave Bluffs Trail. I've only done it on the Alum Cave Bluffs Trail (which is the shortest, but steepest) but I've know the Rainbow Falls Trail is great as well.

Another strenuous hike is to Charlies Bunion along the AT. This is around 9 miles roundtrip. I haven't done this hike in several year. The fall colors are great on this hike. It provides great views of the Smokies along the route.

From Clingmans Dome, a great shorter hike is Andrews Bald. It is around 4 miles roundtrip, but pretty steep. Great views of the Smokies as well.

My favorite short trail in the Smokies and also a pretty adventurous one is Chimney Tops. I believe it is only a little over 2 miles total, but it is also steep. The last hundred yards (if you want to ascend to the top of the Chimney Tops requires a bit of climbing up a rock slope. The climb is well worth the effort.

Another good trail for the views is the Porters Creek Trail near Cosby. You can make this as long or short as you want. It is great for fall colors and if you want to learn about the area's history.

For waterfalls, Rainbow Falls, Grotto Falls, Abrams Falls, Ramsay Cascades, and Laurel Falls are awesome. There are also some great ones in North Carolina, but honestly I have spent very little time on the North Carolina side of the Smokies. I really need to, though.

Let me know if I can help any further. I'd still recommend joining the site I mentioned and contacting smokies_hiker, who I consider a very excellent source of information for the Smokies. smokies_hiker also leads hikes in the park occasionally.

Sean

5. Re: snow a problem at end of october??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 02, 2009