We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Western NC & GSMNP 5/19 - 5/29 (Long with pics)

Texas
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Western NC & GSMNP 5/19 - 5/29 (Long with pics)

We had a blast on our trip to Western North Carolina, GSMNP and Gatlinburg. Rather than splitting my trip report, I posted it in the North Carolina forum because we started and ended there. The link is below. It's really long with a lot of details so anyone that is not interested in the other parts can skip to days 6 - 10 when we visited GSMNP and Gatlinburg. It includes a link at the bottom of the report to pictures. Hope some find it helpful!

Link to report:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28954…

I'll repeat the link to the pictures here: https:/…8

Mentioned in this post
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
12 replies to this topic
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
450 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Western NC & GSMNP 5/19 - 5/29 (Long with pics)

Fantastic report and pictures! Sounds like quite a time!!!

Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Western NC & GSMNP 5/19 - 5/29 (Long with pics)

Wow!!! What a great trip! Sounds like you and your daughter had a fantastic time! Love the pictures, thanks for sharing!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
857 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Western NC & GSMNP 5/19 - 5/29 (Long with pics)

That was a great trip report and the pictures really told your story. You really made the most of your time. Thanks for sharing.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Western NC & GSMNP 5/19 - 5/29 (Long with pics)

Thanks for the kind words. We did have fun!

Level Contributor
228 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Western NC & GSMNP 5/19 - 5/29 (Long with pics)

I am on break and can't read it now but it sure looks detailed! Looking forward to reading it later. Thanks for posting it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,062 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Western NC & GSMNP 5/19 - 5/29 (Long with pics)

Great trip report!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Western NC & GSMNP 5/19 - 5/29 (Long with pics)

Thanks PeachBelle! I wish we could have seen bears as clearly as the bears in your profile picture! But we were still super happy with our viewing. Maybe next time! :-)

Texas
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Western NC & GSMNP 5/19 - 5/29 (Long with pics)

I wanted to add a couple of things I forgot to mention in my report.

I wasn't sure what to expect with Gatlinburg. I've read lots of comments from people saying they would never stay again, or that it's too touristy and tacky, or too crowded, etc. As you can tell from my report, we love the outdoors and the only reason for visiting Gatlinburg was its proximity to GSMNP. I didn't have any of those feelings myself while we were there with the exception I mentioned about the traffic on the Sunday evening of the final concert of the Gaither Family Fest. Sure, there are some touristy type places but I didn't feel like they detracted from our experience in any way. We did what we were there to do and the other stuff didn't bother us. I will try to visit on weekdays next time if possible. I would have liked for our itinerary to to have worked out to do it this time but it didn't, and that was okay.

And just a note about hiking etiquette. Always yield to uphill traffic. If you’ve ever been plodding up a hill at a nice steady pace only to be run into by someone in a hurry to get down, then you understand the logic behind this. Going uphill is hard work, and changing up your speed can ruin your momentum. This is why people traveling uphill have the right of way. Of course, some hikers will take the opportunity to stop and rest and will often signal for downhill hikers to pass. Just remember that it’s up to the hiker going uphill to make the call. Otherwise, yield. I encountered this issue on a steep rocky section of Abrams Falls trail and luckily I kept my balance. Still loved the hike, just a note for people who are unaware of trail etiquette.

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Abrams Falls Trail
Abrams Falls Trail
409 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Illinois
Level Contributor
510 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Western NC & GSMNP 5/19 - 5/29 (Long with pics)

Thanks for sharing your great pictures from GSMNP! Very helpful in our planning process as we prepare to visit the park next month.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Western NC & GSMNP 5/19 - 5/29 (Long with pics)

Thank you Sarah224, glad that it is helpful. I hope you have a great trip!

Reply to: Trip Report Western NC & GSMNP 5/19 - 5/29 (Long with pics)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted