We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verizon cell service Mt. LeConte

KY
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Verizon cell service Mt. LeConte

Hello, we will be hiking the alum trail and staying overnight at the lodge, I was wondering if there is cell service so that I can check in with family members and let them know we made it safely. Thank you!!

15 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
228 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verizon cell service Mt. LeConte

I can't find it now but I thought I read that there is no service there. I will look more and see if I can find it.

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verizon cell service Mt. LeConte

I have had Verizon and T Mobile, and there is no service in park

Mentioned in this post
Mobile
Mobile
Alabama
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,832 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verizon cell service Mt. LeConte

No service for any cell companies inside the park, especially on LeConte.

Mentioned in this post
LeConte Lodge
LeConte Lodge
152 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verizon cell service Mt. LeConte

Generally speaking, no cell service. If they are dropping you off at the trailhead, it is best to arrange pick up time at that point as getting in touch with them would probably be quite a long shot as cell service is spotty at best.

KY
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Verizon cell service Mt. LeConte

Thanks everyone!!! I was hoping to get enough at a particular spot just to reassure everyone we made it lol :) Atleast I can let them know not to expect a call or text now!!

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Verizon cell service Mt. LeConte

Contact LeConte directly the way you reserved the night and ask the question. True, cell service is non-existent in the park being line-of-sight. Sat phone would be it if you have one.

I would find it hard to believe that the Lodge doesn't have some form of communication, be it hard-wired or sat phone. In the event of an emergency and need to evacuate someone, how would they summon a medivac??

Since the park only answers email and then only when they feel like it, email them and ask as well about communications and emergency response at LeConte. They should know how its handled.

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
LeConte Lodge
LeConte Lodge
152 Reviews
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,832 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Verizon cell service Mt. LeConte

The Lodge has two-way radio contact with the park service for emergencies. If they have a sat phone, they don't make that known publicly and it's not for use by the patrons.

Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
620 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Verizon cell service Mt. LeConte

I was hiking in the middle of Glacier NP last summer. About halfway through our hike, we were in direct line of sight with I believe the Apgar area to the west. All of a sudden my e-mails started coming in. The thing is, once you get up high enough and get line of sight of a tower (even if you can't really see it with your own eyes) you might get some signal depending on distance, weather, etc.. I might not be recalling correctly, but I swore I was able to send one text message through from the back deck of the dining lodge while getting one back from my wife. This is direct line of sight to Pigeon Forge and other non-park peaks (where they usually put communication towers). I know that the signal was intermittent/very weak though and I had messages that failed to send. I'd error on the side of caution and just go in knowing it won't work.

Edited: 11:25 am, June 07, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
433 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Verizon cell service Mt. LeConte

I have "occasionally" gotten a brief, weak signal at Clingmans Dome. Other than that, I've never had signal. In fact, to save battery, I typically put my phone on "airplane mode" when I'm in the park.

Mentioned in this post
Clingmans Dome
Clingmans Dome
2,394 Reviews
Nashville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Verizon cell service Mt. LeConte

If your family has some doubts as to whether you'll make it safely or not, it may not be worth pursuing the trek to LeConte.

The National Park System is notorious for miserable cell phone reception because one of the missions of the NPS is to allow people to appreciate nature and get away from the distractions of the rest of the civilized world.

We were at Mt. Rainier a few years back while visiting the Seattle area. There was a tragic accident involving some tourists in Seattle while we were at MRNP, which we heard about on terrestrial radio while in the NP. When we returned to civilization the next day, our phones blew up from all of the messages friends and family had sent re: our safety.

My thought is that, whether we were safe or not, the outcome wouldn't change if we had connectivity or not. Worry is not a productive emotion.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Reply to: Verizon cell service Mt. LeConte
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted