We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Basin National Park

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Great Basin National Park

I love camping in Great Basin National Park but never ever ever see any forum topics posted about it. People seem to think that Nevada is synonymous with Las Vegas. I guess maybe I shouldn't let the cat out of the bag, but Nevada has one of the west's most spectacular national parks. Let's get a thread going on this one.

My favorite thing to do in Great Basin is to go into Lehman Cave. And my favorite campground is the Wheeler Peak campground. Does anyone know if you can still legally collect pine nuts in the fall?

280 replies to this topic
Shaker Heights
Level Contributor
3 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
201. Re: Great Basin National Park

I went to Great Basin National Park this August and loved it! I would check with the rangers at the visitors center. Be careful because some of the Bristlecone pines in the park are hundreds of years old and very protected.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
202. Re: Great Basin National Park

Time to bump this thread for the sake of GBNP aficionados.

I just got back from my fourth trip. With the wife and kids out of the country, I was able to indulge my solo travel ambition. Here goes:

Saturday, leave SLC at 07:30, later than hoped for, drive to GBNP. Hike Lexington Arch, then South Fork Big Wash (to the old mining boiler). Drive up Snake Creek Rd to primitive campsite at the very top.

Sunday, up early to hike (TH adjacent to my campsite) to Johnson Lake, then continue to Pyramid Peak (4500' total climb). Back to camp to eat and relax a bit, then drive over to Lehman Cave Visitor Center, park the car, then ride my road bike to Wheeler Peak CG. Drive back to Snake Creek to camp again...but the camp chair I had left to mark my site had vanished!

Had originally planned to hike Mt. Moriah on Day 3, but just wasn't feeling up to it, so opted for something easier. So today, up at 3:15AM, left camp by 4:00AM, drove down Snake Creek and up Wheeler Peak Scenic Drive to Wheeler Peak TH. Hiking by 05:30, to summit of Wheeler at 07:45. Holy cow, was it windy on the southwest side of the ridge. As in, hard to stand up straight windy. Had the summit to myself. Had a little extra energy on the way down, so hiked up to the summit of Bald Mountain, then back down to TH. Spent a little time in the picnic area and then the visitor center (including inquiring about my missing chair!), then drove back to SLC.

Back to reality tomorrow. On the drive back, formulated a plan to return and conquer Moriah. It's been gnawing at me for years. Hopefully, I'll get my chance in the next couple weeks.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
203. Re: Great Basin National Park

I guess we've been neglecting this thread. Good thing you bumped it before it got closed.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,090 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
204. Re: Great Basin National Park

Sounds like a great trip.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
205. Re: Great Basin National Park

Thanks for the feedback Brettyb. Stolen chair? Hope it was not a new one ;)

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
206. Re: Great Basin National Park

I think I'm overdue. The trouble is, the next time I'm headed in that direction will probably be in December, so much of the park won't be accessible. But I can enjoy a few tidbits.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
207. Re: Great Basin National Park

Time to bump for folks making spring plans.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
208. Re: Great Basin National Park

Fall plans for us actually !

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
209. Re: Great Basin National Park

This time I want to camp in the park so when should I go? May, June, August? I am a hike, prefer to find 8-14 miles long trails or combination of few. Hate crowded trails. Thanks for ideas

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
210. Re: Great Basin National Park

My pick would be september for that Places. If you want to hike at 10.000' may still can have snow on the Wheeler Peak tracks.

Reply to: Great Basin National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted