We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elk, Bison?

northern Kentucky
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Elk, Bison?

Are there elk and / or bison in Great Basin NP. I looked through the NPS web site and it seemed to state there used to be elk, bison, but wasn't clear if there still was.

thanks

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elk, Bison?

Great Basin does have elk. They are out and about mostly in the evening, like deer.

You can see a list of the various animals on the park website.

www.nps.gov/grba/naturescience/animals.htm

I am not aware of bison in the park. The nearest free-range bison I know of are on Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake. Someone owns a few domestic bison in Nephi, or at least they did; maybe a local can update us. Nephi (rhymes with re-fi, as in what you do to your mortgage) is on I-15 about 170 miles north of the park and 90 miles south of Salt Lake City.

2. Re: Elk, Bison?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 21, 2010