We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current plan for July visit.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
447 reviews
Save Topic
Current plan for July visit.

I’m taking advantage of the quiet time around the holidays to do a little planning for our next trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Lodging and flights are set. Just DW and me for the trip (early 50s; hiking and photography are the main goals of the trip). We’ll be in Grand Teton in mid –July for 4 nights staying at Signal Mountain. I know the first rule of visiting the parks, that being don’t over plan, just go with the flow, but I still want a nice outline and some back-up options (you never know what Mother Nature will throw at you!). Besides, I just hate wasting time with the whole “I don’t know, what do you want to do?” scenario ;-)

I’ve been reviewing several threads that I had saved from the GT and YNP forums, particularly looking at the hiking options (great input from several folks, particularly TetonBill and BlueBirdDay, so thanks for all the advice). Last trip we really only did one hike in GT, from LSR Preserve to Phelps Lake (very nice hike), but the weather conspired against us for the hike we had planned up Cascade Canyon so that one is a top priority.

Anyway, here’s my current thinking.

Day 1: Arrive JAC at 12:30; collect the rental car and head into Jackson for supplies (bear spray, bug spray and groceries). We’ll do a drive through of the park on our way to Signal Mountain Lodge. After check-in it will be back to the park to check out trail conditions, Ranger program options at the visitor center. Perhaps we’ll cruise up Signal Mountain for the views. Is this a better morning or evening view?

Day 2: We’ll want to acclimate to the elevation today, so maybe “flat” activities today. Morning photos at the favorite spots (Oxbow, Schwabacher Landing, Mormon Row, etc.) then a hike. Maybe something from the Two Ocean Trailhead or Bradley/Taggart Lake (we’ll do one today and one later in the week). I liked the option that TetonBill described about going CCW around Two Ocean, then up to Grand View Point and finally along the north side of Lake Emma Matilda.

Day 3: The idea is to hike up Cascade Canyon, taking advantage of the boat ride across Jenny Lake. We’ll start as early as we can and hike as far as we like, but hopefully we can get to the fork of the Canyon. Who knows, if we feel good, maybe we can make it to Lake Solitude (that would be a looong day of hiking). I’m guessing we’ll be done for the day after this hike!

Day 4: Perhaps hit some of the favorite photo spots again in the morning. Then some combination of a hike (either Two Ocean Trailhead or Bradley/Taggart Lake) and the tram to the top of Rendezvous Mountain with a hike at the top (Rock Springs perhaps). Would it be better to do the tram in the morning followed by our other hiking option? My first thought was to take the tram in the afternoon, but it looks like the last tram down the mountain is at 6:30 PM so time could get a little tight (hey, I like to have a plan when on vacation but not a hard schedule).

Days 5 - 9: Change of base to Yellowstone….still working on that plan; will most likely post it later today.

Day 9: Leaving Roosevelt and heading back to GT for another night at Signal Mountain. We’ll most likely arrive early evening, so it may just be a check-in and find some dinner (maybe Jenny Lake for the views).

Day 10: MsHick wants to spend a day in Jackson, so we’ll just do a drive through of the park on our way to town. We’ll be staying in Jackson tonight and flying home tomorrow morning.

Of course we'll be doing other activities as time allows. But these are the “main attractions” based on my current research. How’s it look? Am I overlooking anything? Is it reasonable to think that I can fit all of this into the time I have? Are the hikes that I have selected provide a good over view of the park as well as good variety of scenery and opportunities for wildlife viewing? They seem to from the descriptions I’ve read, but I want to hear what y’all have to say.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Current plan for July visit.

Thanks Absarokanaut. And welcome to the forums! I see this was your first post. Thanks for joining in and thanks for the great suggestions. I'll look into these options.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Current plan for July visit.

If you like ranger talks, I would recommend a ranger led hike to Taggart Lake. I did this with my daughter this past summer and we both enjoyed it (we also did the one to Phelps Lake). Otherwise I agree with going early as this is one of the more heavily traveled trails.

Sounds like your itinerary is already full, but wanted to mention a great hike we did that was not crowded: Jackson Peak. This is just outside the park and requires a drive up a dirt road (conditions may vary - we made it to the trailhead okay in our rental). Only a few people, 360 views from the summit, and nice views of the Tetons.

Last summer the road to Schwbacher Landing was closed, not sure of the status for this year. You can still visit there, just requires a hike in (check where to park).

If you've already gotten your shots from the standard sunrise spots, another nice place is Jenny Lake: www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/image/152787442

Have a great trip!

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Current plan for July visit.

Thanks p_g. More great ideas to consider. I did not know that the road to SL was closed; still worth the walk!

Thanks to the link to the photos. Lovely as usual!

14. Re: Current plan for July visit.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, January 09, 2015