We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Signal Mountain Lodge -- One Room Cabin or Country Room?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
824 posts
863 reviews
Save Topic
Signal Mountain Lodge -- One Room Cabin or Country Room?

Signal Mountain Lodge looks like a good base for exploring Grand Teton National Park. Given a choice between a short stay in an expensive lakefront cabin and a longer stay in less expensive lodging, we choose the longer stay -- 4 nights. So, our dilemma is whether to choose the one room rustic cabin or the country room which has a small fridge and microwave and larger bed. Regarding budget, I lean to the cabin at $38 a night less but wonder if we'd be more comfortable in the country room. Only we can decide this, but I'm looking for comments about both of these two lodging choices that might help us make a decision.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
769 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Signal Mountain Lodge -- One Room Cabin or Country Room?

If you don't plan to spend much time in the room id go for the less expensive room. We look at in- park lodging as just a clean, dry place to sleep in a perfect location. As far as the refrigerator, if you are using a cooler for your lunches as many people do, as long as your replacing the ice every day the refrigerator is not that necessary.

Ridgeland...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Signal Mountain Lodge -- One Room Cabin or Country Room?

The two room cabins have small fridges but no microwave although there is one in the lobby for general use. I love the rustic cabins and the country rooms don't seem to have the same ambience. I found the beds in the 2 room cabins to be more comfy than the Lake front Retreats and my daughters prefer the cabins although my son likes the retreats for the view. If having a fridge is a dealbreaker, call the front desk and ask if the cabins have them. The folks working there are super nice and helpful.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Signal Mountain Lodge -- One Room Cabin or Country Room?

We loved our one room cabin. It was very spacious, had lots of storage (2 small armoires), and plenty of seating (a small table with chairs and a rocking chair). We also found the beds & bedding to be very comfortable. The best part was the front porch which had a picnic table and two adironack chairs for relaxing and enjoying the view. Even though we didn't have a "lakefront cabin", ours still had a view of the lake!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
624 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Signal Mountain Lodge -- One Room Cabin or Country Room?

I have stayed in the lakefront upstairs country retreat rooms one trip for 3 nights. Like other posters have said, you really are not there (in the room) long enough to enjoy the view from your room. I must say it was nice to get up early wrap up in a blanket and sit out on my deck and look at the view or go out late at night and sit there. That being said, I only sat there for about 10-15 minutes max each time and the last day and half it turned cold and rainy so I sat and enjoyed my view from inside, hahaha.

You can walk around the area and get the same view. You can also eat on the deck at the restaurant and get a great view as well. Some of the cabins had a little view and some of them didn't, but hey you're in the Tetons so who cares?

I did remember my bed being very comfortable, and there was a full size refrigerator in the room. But like others have said, I have also been and kept my things cool very nicely in a cooler. The last trip I rented a full size cooler in Jackson and I used the block ice which lasted longer.

You said it, you are who has to make your own decision, but that being said, I'd go for the cabin unless you just had money to burn. The year I stayed lakefront I was sort of "treating myself". I wouldn't hesitate to try a cabin next time. I'm not a big spender and I actually enjoy staying in the cabins at colter bay, so maybe one day I would like to try the cabins at signal mtn myself. Don't fret over your decision, it's a great location either way you go.

I'll be back in the Tetons in September, counting the days!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
824 posts
863 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Signal Mountain Lodge -- One Room Cabin or Country Room?

Thank you for your comments, information, and insights. I decided to book the one-room rustic cabin. Like many of you, lodging at a place like Grand Teton NP is more about a clean bed and shower and a good night's rest for exploring the park all day; we don't plan to spend much time at our lodgings. At $38 a day less for 4 nights, I could stretch one more day into the trip. :)

I'm looking forward to Grand Teton and Yellowstone next year. Now that I have the park lodging reserved, I'll begin making reservations for the nights before and after the parks.

6. Re: Signal Mountain Lodge -- One Room Cabin or Country Room?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 14, 2014