We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schwabacher Landing

Nature Coast...
Level Contributor
188 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Schwabacher Landing

I heard that the park service wasn't opening the road down to Schwabacher Landing this year. Can anyone confirm that it is closed? If so, can you still walk down to it? Is there any pull off nearby that we could park at to walk down? How long of a walk would it be? We missed seeing/photographing it last year and it was at the top of our list for this trip so I'm really hoping we can still get down there somehow.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Schwabacher Landing

Yes, it is closed. My guess that it would be a short walk down the road - but I can't confirm if there is parking at the highway...perhaps someone else can confirm when they visit? I don't know if the road is closed to hikers as well. If I get chance, I will look into it but weddings and such are not allowed, so I'm not sure how that would affect the individual person looking to visit the area.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Schwabacher Landing

Hi,

How keen are you to see this spot ? Where there is a will there is a way !!

It all depends on whether the road is also close to the hikers or not.

The gravel road from the highway is a little longer than a mile to the car park and then about 10 minutes walk to go to a decent shooting place. There is no designated car park close to the entrance from the highway but I suspect you can take your chance by parking at the beginning of the landing road unless they have cordoned off that area.

I don't feel it is a good idea to just park by the highway as probably there is not enough width to keep all 4 wheels off the road. But you can take your chances.

The best safe option for parking is just a few minutes drive to the Glacier Point overlook on your right where you can safely park, enjoy the great view and start your hike to Schwabacher landing.

During my research I found this Google map created by fellow travellers very helpful. You can change it to the Google Street view to get a better understanding of the width of the highway, parking etc. The Google Camera does not go all the way to the landing parking though.

Link below. Hope it works. There seems to be a problem with the original site.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

In my opinion it was one of the best photos of my trip.

If the road is closed to hikers then you need to look for other roads which go down to the river. I'd refer to # 3 post by TetonBill in this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…49788980

Cheers

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Schwabacher Landing

The road is closed, but you're free to walk down there if you want to. You can park at the beginning of the road in front of the barricade.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Schwabacher Landing

That is it. Problem solved !!

Moose, Wyoming
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Schwabacher Landing

Hello- My Name is Jenny Anzelmo-Sarles and I am a park spokesperson for Grand Teton National Park. You are more than welcome to access the Schwabachers Landing area on foot. The road is being managed as a backcountry trail. You can park at one of two locations, either Glacier View Turnout or Teton Point Overlook and walk from there. Make sure you bring your Bear Spary!

Thank you and enjoy your visit!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Schwabacher Landing

Hi Jenny,

Thanks! I will put that in Top Questions about Grand Teton National Park, and will delete it when it reopens. So nice that you responded.

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
225 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Schwabacher Landing

Hi, does anyone know how far it is to walk from parking at the Glacier View Turnout (or Teton Point Overlook) to Schwabacher Landing. We hope to visit early one morning when we visit in September. I see that Supratik gives distance from the gravel road but wondered how much further we need to add for walking from parking at the viewpoints suggested by Jenny J. Many thanks in advance.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Schwabacher Landing

Hi,

According to Mr. Google from Glacier View turnout to the beginning of the landing road:

0.6 miles , apprx 10 minutes walking.

Link if it works:

Teton Point is slightly further. 1.3 miles and approx 25 minutes according to Uncle Google.

Try Glacier View first as that is unlikely to be full in the morning.

You can right click on any point in a Google map and ask directions to and from which would give you walking distances as well.

Slightly off topic but as you guys seem to be keen photographers you may like to see this photos of GTNP with some useful tips :

http://www.kylehammons.com/blog/archives/2190

And to Second BlueBirdDay's comments :it is really nice of Jenny to post here. I personally feel GTNP is often overshadowed by its more illustrious cousin, especially for overseas visitors.

Cheers.

P.S. : Links with distances clearly not working but you can see Teton Point North of the Schawbacher's landing road looks slightlu further.

Edited: 5:40 am, June 05, 2013
Nature Coast...
Level Contributor
188 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Schwabacher Landing

Thanks to all for the great information. We are happy that we can still get there and will plan for a hike one morning.

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
225 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Schwabacher Landing

Many thanks Supratik, great info, just what I was looking for.