We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hang Glide and White Whiter Water in one day - timing help

bedford
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hang Glide and White Whiter Water in one day - timing help

So I think I have this resolved, but would love help for those who know the drive times or best time of day to white water etc. I hope I can explain this correctly.

We will be in the Tetons for 3 nights staying at a house near Teton Village.

Arriving June 13th (probably head straight from West yellowstone in the morning) so figure we at least will get to the park mid day.

We have all day the 14th and 15th. Headed out the 16th early morning.

So we will have 2 mornings to catch sunrise, and 3 nights to catch sunsets.

3 of the 9 of us are going Hang gliding located in Alpine

We are all going white water rafting which enters at West Table

We would save an hour in drive time back and forth from the Rafting Companies by meeting them at West Table and they all agree to that (must be common).

So i am looking at the day:

1. take advantage of the early morning sunrise for pictures/animal watching

2. Take advantage of being close to the white water from the hang gliding place

5:00 - 5:15am -head out for sunrise pics and seeing animals (need to determine where)

800am - head to the hangliding place - depending on where we go

(45 minutes from Jackson and another 30 from Oxbow bend)

9:30 - 11:30 am hang glide - 3 people - takes 2 hours

20 to 30 minute drive to the location for the white water rafting

12:30 rafting meet time at west table - meet company for white water rafting

(this actually gives us 30 minutes to eat a packed lunch or pick something up in Alpine)

(12:00 trip I think would be better as most everyone can eat while watching the others hang glide)

3:00 - finish rafting - head back to the national park

What do you guys think of the plan? and drive times etc?

would you change anything.

i have not picked a rafting company yet as they all seem pretty comparable price and review wise.

(rated, , 7, and 9 - and then 22 for white sands)

Mainly looking for the perfect time and boat size.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hang Glide and White Whiter Water in one day - timing help

Just wanted to bump this...thinking if I should post this in the Yellowstone Forum as there is a lot on white water rafting in that one.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,629 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hang Glide and White Whiter Water in one day - timing help

The forum is small enough most of the frequent posters read most of the threads so you probably don't need to repost.

There are no rafting or float trips within Yellowstone.

Pam

bedford
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hang Glide and White Whiter Water in one day - timing help

Thanks Pam. I will Han on.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,629 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hang Glide and White Whiter Water in one day - timing help

You know, I am probably the most detail-oriented poster on the forum and your schedule even makes me dizzy. I am not sure anyone will have any more analysis or input than you have already done. I am not expert at Grand Tetons, so I have no idea about your distances and times.

Were you mainly concerned about making the rafting trip from the hang gliding adventure? If so, since you have 2 full days in the Tetons, you could hang glide one day and raft the next so you don't have to rush from one big event to another.

Talk with the Rangers at the Visitor Centers about where animals have been spotted in the AMs for your photography portion.

Pam

bedford
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hang Glide and White Whiter Water in one day - timing help

D0bby..that is funny.

yes I have analyzed and yes looking for someone that knows the roads better etc.

I know I can separate the days..but seems silly to separate since we are only 15 minutes away from the rafting to drive all that way again.

I was looking to see if someone know the timing etc all better..but I guess I will go for it..

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hang Glide and White Whiter Water in one day - timing help

Allow about 10 minutes longer from Oxbow to Jackson. Your estimate from Jackson to Alpine sounds right, but if there's construction on that road, as there often is during the summer, add another 10 minutes. The Alpine airport is just a couple of minutes drive from the center of Alpine. The time you've allowed from Alpine to the rafting meet point sounds about right.

I spend most of each summer on a horse, taking or leading several long pack trips into wilderness areas. I don't wear a watch all summer because I never need to know what time it is. So your whole schedule makes my head swim.

Edited: 4:43 pm, April 19, 2013
bedford
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hang Glide and White Whiter Water in one day - timing help

Must be nice not to have to know what time it is :-)

Thanks!!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hang Glide and White Whiter Water in one day - timing help

>Must be nice not to have to know what time it is :-)

What difference would it make what time it is?

I have a doctor friend from a big city back east who was staying here recently at a guest ranch. He was up early one morning and came across the grizzled old fellow who was the ranch's head wrangler. In an effort to make conversation, he asked the cowboy, "So what do you think those North Koreans are up to?" The old cowboy took a moment, looked up at the sky, and replied, "I reckon it's going to rain today." My guess is that old boy doesn't wear a watch either.

Edited: 5:00 pm, April 19, 2013
9. Re: Hang Glide and White Whiter Water in one day - timing help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 21, 2014