We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shipping gear for trip in August

Morgantown...
8 posts
Save Topic
shipping gear for trip in August

Planning a backpacking trip in Grand Tetons August 2013 and will be flying from Philadelphia area to Jackson. Does anyone know of a place close to the airport or entrance, that my party can send our gear via UPS to and will hold until we arrive? Have done this before on trips to Yosemite and there were UPS stores near by. Trying to avoid renting a car just to drive to Jackson to pick up gear.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,715 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: shipping gear for trip in August

>Would you know how quickly the first come first serve permits go.

Are you trying for a reservation or will you try for a permit when you arrive (for that day or the next)?

Open Canyon is real pretty and doesn't get a large amount of use. You can reach it from the Death Canyon Trailhead or from the LSR Preserve. On the other hand, the Granite-Paintbrush loop (which locals sometimes do in one day) gets a lot of use, especially the Granite Canyon Trail.

Edited: 3:10 pm, January 25, 2013
Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: shipping gear for trip in August

I'm not sure about permits - when we did the Teton Crest trail it was some time ago and we had our permits before our trip. I would try asking on the forums on backpacker.com to see if somebody else has more up to date info. Have you talked to the rangers? Did they give any indication on permit availability?

Either trip sounds great!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: shipping gear for trip in August

The Teton Crest Trail is not to be missed. Getting permits for the Death Canyon Shelf if hard, but once I hiked off the shelf out of the canyon I was surprised how nice the lower campsites were and not one camper....

You do not need permits in Alaska Basin b/c although it is sandwiched by the park, it is not GTNP. That is probably one of the beautiful places to camp IMHO>

14. Re: shipping gear for trip in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 27, 2014