We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

LITTLETON
Level Contributor
235 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

We usually stay close to home for Thanksgiving but just found out the rest of the family will be going to the new in laws so we find ourselves free for Thanksgiving. We are a family of 4 (me, hubby, son 16, daughter 12) Coming from Denver would you recommend trying to fit in a visit to the Grand Canyons? What kind of weather should we expect. And yes I have already called to see if accomodations are available. Thanks for any and all help

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

We spent one Thanksgiving at the Canyon with visiting relatives and loved it. Spent 3 days total there. It was actually less crowded the day before and day of Thanksgiving. We felt like we had the place to ourselves. Our Tday dinner was at El Tovar and while their food gets good and bad reviews, we really enjoyed our traditional dinner. Friday, we left and people were pouring in. The weather was cold - don't remember the exact temps, but we definitely needed a heavier jacket. Thurs night into Friday morning was a dusting of show so it was definitely below freezing at night. Seems to me it was in the 50's during day but we had a brisk breeze. The days were very pleasant though chilly. I think it would be a great time to visit there, especially day before and day of.

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

Only the south rim will be open at that time. Lots of info on activites at www.nps.gov/grca.

3. Re: Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, August 23, 2009