We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from LA to GC

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
486 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from LA to GC

Here is the plan: (it will my husband, myself, and two 10 yr old daughters)

Sunday 7/13 - leave LA 8 AM for GC - the drive can be boring - how can we make it fun/interesting? Any suggestions? Where shall we stop for lunch? (flexible with the leaving time) - overnight at Maswick (reserved)

Monday 7/14 - all day at GC (overnight at Maswick - reserved) - please suggest how should we spend our day - which main points should we cover? We are non-hikers :-)

Tuesday 7/15 - drive back to LA after breakfast - any interesting stops?

Food - we are vegetarians - shall we carry some food with us or GCNP will have plenty to choose from? (we are not picky eaters)

Is it worth to drive to Desert View?

THANK YOU!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
486 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from LA to GC

Anyone? Please help...

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from LA to GC

For your full day at the South Rim, I'd definitely plan to take the shuttle bus westward to Hermit Rest and back. Pick it up right near the Bright Angel trail head. You can stop at each of the 8 vistas, take pictures, enjoy the views, and catch the next shuttle which runs on roughly a 15 minute schedule. In July, which is the busiest time of year, I'd plan to do this early, like around 8 AM or so. If you wait until mid day, the shuttles are packed and sometimes you have to wait for a couple of buses to board at the first one. It is worth the drive to Desert View and back, and this is better done at mid day when the central part of the park has its most visitors. As far as eating vegetarian, I can't accurately reply on this, but I'm sure there are menu options, whether you choose to eat at a place like Bright Angel Lodge, or simply use the cafeteria at Market Plaza. But the secret to enjoying the views, etc, is to start early during the summer, before the mid day crowds engulf you. Save that for roaming around the bookstore, museum, and exploring the views on East Rim Drive!

Edited: 4:51 pm, June 19, 2014
Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from LA to GC

Here, I have posted a section of the map and have added two arrows, one pointing to Maswik Lodge, the other to the shuttle stop area to Hermit Rest. It is only about a 5 minute level walk between the two, so do that instead of boarding the other shuttle to take you there. It is such a roundabout route, that walking between these two points is much simpler!

http://imagebunk.com/image/1383305_gc2.jpg

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,393 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from LA to GC

Your best stops for lunch will be Barstow or Kingman in either direction depending on time. Rather than slow your travel by making other stops other than rest room breaks, I would just drive straight through and get the drive over with. There's not that much to see.

If you are very strict vegetarians, your best bet is buying food at Market Plaza in the grocery store. There are vegetables and vegetable-based items in the cafeterias and restaurants but you would need to inquire if any animal products were used in their preparation. Perhaps bring a cooler and bring your own food. There is a microwave in the grocery store and the Maswik cafeteria but otherwise no place to cook.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,977 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from LA to GC

I was going to suggest Mr Dz in Kingman and Delgadillos in Seligman,but the vegetarian thing put a wrench in that.

Just buckle down and drive straight thru and get to the canyon.

On the way home if you leave early, you can run sections of Route 66 from Seligman to Kingman, or better yet, Kingman to Oatman, then rejoin I-40 for the long drive back to LA.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from LA to GC

You also may try Bagdad Cafe Newberry Springs and there a restaurant in Ludlow as well. No sure about vegetarians though. Or maybe a veggie omelette and toasted muffin with a milkshake at Peggy Sues dinner in Yermo.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,222 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from LA to GC

Here is the 2014 summer visitor's guide for GCNP. You'll find a lot of good info about the park layout, ranger programs, shuttle routes/schedules, special exhibits, etc. You'll get a paper copy at the entrance gate but you might browse through it beforehand to get a feel for what you might want to do during your visit:

nps.gov/grca/…SRsummer2014_tabloid.pdf

All of the food concessions in the park are run by Xanterra and you can find menus posted on their website. They all offer vegetarian options throughout the menu, though somewhat typical offerings like pastas, veggie burgers, salads, and so on. Maswik has a cafeteria-style "food court" and a pizza pub; I'm sure you'll be able to find vegetarian options there. You can find menu links at each of the specific restaurants here:

http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/dining/

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from LA to GC

Here's an official NPS video about the Hermit's Rest free shuttle bus (which BTW I'd also highly recommend using):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCMRKElBkgA

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
486 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from LA to GC

Wow - great info. Thank you everyone!

10. Re: Driving from LA to GC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 22, 2015