We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas - Grand Canyon - Sedona - Phoenix

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vegas - Grand Canyon - Sedona - Phoenix

I'm looking for some information to help me create a 'trip of a lifetime' for my Mum. Ever since I was a child (I'm 39!), my Mum has harboured a dream of going to the Grand Canyon. She's had a rough year this year so, for Christmas, she will find that very trip in her stocking!

We fly into Vegas at the end of May 2014, have 2 nights there, then I have hired a car to drive to the GC for 3 nights staying at the Yavapai West Lodge, then on to Sedona for a night before heading to Phoenix to fly home.

I've ordered guide books but would love some top tips, about what we should see/do. Time is limited and I really want to make sure we use it to the best advantage. It would also be great if anyone had ideas for places to stop and things to do to break up the car journeys.

Mum will be 61 when we visit. She's very active, but a few miles walking is probably the limit. Mum loves horses, and I would have loved to take her on a horseback trek in the GC, but I think she might be too nervous. With that in mind, what's the best way of seeing the GC, really seeing and experiencing it, for someone like my Mum?

Any information that you can give me would be hugely appreciated.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Vegas - Grand Canyon - Sedona - Phoenix

Oh no! Did my last post not register? Gutted! Mum was thrilled, but totally blown away...poor Dad had to cook Christmas lunch because Mum was far too flummoxed! She's settling into the idea now though, and has bought a new suitcase and is devouring all the information she can find. It's been a wonderful treat for me to experience her absolute thrill & delight!

So...might I ask another question of you guys? We have a hire car from Vegas to GC, and I intend to take us via the Hoover Dam. Is there a good tour of the Dam that I can pre-arrange, or can I do it on the spot, without booking? If not, anyone know any decent companies to go through? All information gratefully received...you guys have been absolutely wonderful! Thank you and Happy New Year to you all xxx

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Vegas - Grand Canyon - Sedona - Phoenix

Just do it at the spot. There are several tours but if you take the longer tours maybe too much to drive to GC after that. Take the exit at the Nevada side before crossing the new Bridge. Parking at the bridge is free, parking for the dam tour is $ 7,-- IIRC. You can walk over the dam yourself for free.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,521 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Vegas - Grand Canyon - Sedona - Phoenix

Here is the dam website that explains tours.The longer dam tour lets you see much more of the inner workings of the dam.

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/

While there, drive over the dam to the AZ side. If you look up on the top of the hill near the gift shop, you can see the WWII bunker. On the way back to the highway on the NV side, stop at Lake Mead overlook near the security checkpoint.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,521 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Vegas - Grand Canyon - Sedona - Phoenix

A little info on the restoration of the bunker.

…blogspot.com/2012/11/2012-round-up-world-wa…

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Vegas - Grand Canyon - Sedona - Phoenix

After your Damvisit you'll drive into Arizona. After a short drive on 93 you can exit to the right and drive down to the Colorado River at Willow beach.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Vegas - Grand Canyon - Sedona - Phoenix

Oh wow! You guys are amazing! This is going to be the best trip, primarily because of the inside information you have given me, which is just making the whole thing seamless. Thank you so much, yet again.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Vegas - Grand Canyon - Sedona - Phoenix

BTW, are there any boat trips that are worthwhile doing at the Hoover Dam? Just thinking that that might be a fun stop off?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Vegas - Grand Canyon - Sedona - Phoenix

Found this: http://blackcanyonadventures.com/ but have not done myself. Dez can tell you more about it.

19. Re: Vegas - Grand Canyon - Sedona - Phoenix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 13, 2015