We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it better to stay inside or outside G.C Nat park?

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is it better to stay inside or outside G.C Nat park?

hi all

Was wondering is it better to stay inside the park - do I have to pay national park entry fees ontop of accommodation costs? I f I stay outside the park in Tusayan do I have to drive to the park each day or can I get a shuttle or something. What would you reccommend -Need help?

Many thanks in advance

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it better to stay inside or outside G.C Nat park?

If there's availability within your price range, I would definitely advise that you stay in the park. That is, if your stay is for a night or two.

I would only stay outside (in Tusayan or anywhere else) as a last resort.

You pay the entrance fee to enter the park so that makes no difference whether you stay overnight in the park or not. But yes, that fee is on top of any accommodation costs.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
236 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it better to stay inside or outside G.C Nat park?

Stay in the park if at all possible. After visiting Sedona and Flagstaff we drove to Williams and took the train to the Grand Canyon. The park entrance fees were included in the ticket. We stayed at the El Tovar for two nights. The shuttle bus took us everywhere so a car was not needed at all. The train took us back to Williams when were done. It worked out perfect. If taking train, recommend first class or better.

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it better to stay inside or outside G.C Nat park?

You can hire a taxi to transport you from Tusayan into the park, or drive yourself.

As the others have mentioned, you still need to pay the park entrance fee to the park service either way. The hotels can't collect fees for the park service. Even though you'd only have to pay once to be able to get into the park for seven days, you'll still have to stop at the entrance station each time to show your receipt. You only need to enter the park once if you stay inside.

If you are going to be visiting other National Parks (like GC), National Monuments (like Wupatki and Sunset Crater), etc (www.nps.gov lists them all with links so you can find out each park's entrance fee, or if you aren't sure if a place is a national park or not, check there), it would be worth your while to purchase a NATIONAL PARK PASS for $50.00. This will get you into any national park charging an entrance fee. You can either buy it in advance online (depending on how far in advance you are planning your trip) at www.nationalparks.org, or you can wait and purchase it at the first national park you visit.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
890 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it better to stay inside or outside G.C Nat park?

Definitely stay in the park if possible - even if you can only afford one night.

San Diego
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it better to stay inside or outside G.C Nat park?

Is it better to park your car outside of the park and take a train or shuttle if you are staying in the park?

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
236 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it better to stay inside or outside G.C Nat park?

As mentioned above, we took the train in and really enjoyed not having to worry about where to drive, where to park, etc. You do have to live by the shuttle schedule but it's pretty frequent and it goes places that cars are not allowed to drive.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it better to stay inside or outside G.C Nat park?

Thankyou everyone for your information

I have decided to stay in the park!

Cheers!

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it better to stay inside or outside G.C Nat park?

Jane: "Is it better to park your car outside of the park and take a train or shuttle if you are staying in the park?"

South rim/south entrance: You'd have to park 60 miles from the park in Williams to take the train in. If you parked at Tusayan, about 2 miles from the south entrance/9 miles from the rim, you'd have to take a taxi in.

east entrance: nearest town, about 26 miles from this entrance is Cameron. I don't know of any transport from there to the park, and then you'd have to get from the east rim to the rest of the park

North rim: there is no public transportation.

San Diego
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it better to stay inside or outside G.C Nat park?

I guess we will drive then. Thanks for the reply.

austin,tx
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it better to stay inside or outside G.C Nat park?

Definetly stay in the GC Park. Don't mistake "Grand Canyon Village" as being part of the park. It is not, but a small town just outside South Rim.