We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramp Up Time for GCNP Opening

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
750 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Ramp Up Time for GCNP Opening

Any ideas out there on the length of time it will take to get the GCNP lodges up and running once the government shutdown is resolved? It seems like it wouldn't take much to actually open the lodging, but I don't know what will be involved with getting all the restaurants open.

We still have a couple of weeks before it matters, but I'm trying to weigh options.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,724 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ramp Up Time for GCNP Opening

I can't really answer your question but I do know that the park isn't exactly shuttered and dark. There is a whole residential community within the park made up of park and Xanterra employees and their families. Kids are still going to school, and I know the Market is still open for residents and I've heard that Xanterra is providing some meal support; I'm guessing at least one of the cafeterias is operating for employees. There are also local food banks and organizations providing food/meals and support for furloughed staff.

When the shutdown ends, I suspect there will be a 'soft' opening, with a limited number of restaurants opening first. You could call Xanterra and ask. There will be restaurants open in Tusayan to accommodate park guests as well.

Edited: 11:24 am, October 08, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ramp Up Time for GCNP Opening

You can bet the idle employees will jump in and get that place up and running as soon as possible. There might not be a full selection on the menus the first day but trucks will be rolling and get fresh food in there as soon as possible...like within a day.

Edited: 11:29 am, October 08, 2013
3. Re: Ramp Up Time for GCNP Opening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 10, 2014