We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thunderbird Lodge

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thunderbird Lodge

In researching hotels on the south rim I see El Tovar would be nicest but unfortunately there is no availability for us 4 on our dates. So I reserved Thunderbird Lodge but I'm not seeing much talk about it on these forums. Why is that? I see much mention of the other hotels/lodges.

Also, I hear December is a nice time of year to go, and even prettier if it snows, but I'm wondering about visibility in the canyon b/c that is, after all, what we want, the view.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,983 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thunderbird Lodge

Thunderbird is a good place to stay, even though it rarely gets mentioned. Its just steps from the rim like a few of the other hotels. Last time I stayed there I was upstairs with a view, but that is certainly not guaranteed.

December is a nice time to go, especially if there is snow.Noboby can predict weather so hopefully you will have nice clear views into the canyon from the rim.Clouds can obscure the view sometimes, but there is absolutely no way to predict when or if it will happen when you are there.

Maybe the reason Thunderbird rarely gets mentioned is because it looks like a college dorm room building! The El Tovar is a historic and beautiful lodge.

Edited: 2:32 pm, September 17, 2013
Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thunderbird Lodge

I stayed at Thunderbird Lodge last year and it was clean and comfortable (renovated last year too). I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Staying at Kachina Lodge next month (because El Tovar and TB were already booked.

Giddyup

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,147 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thunderbird Lodge

Thunderbird is right between El Tovar and Bright Angel. You'll be very happy there.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,238 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thunderbird Lodge

Precipitation at the Grand Canyon is, on average, very low year-round. If you plan to spend two nights there, I think you can be pretty confident that you'll get some great clear views. I've been there in November when the Canyon was completely socked in with sleet/rain/fog for an evening but it was always gorgeously crisp and clear by the next morning.

Thunderbird often gets lumped in with Kachina, as they're very similar. Location is superb. And with 4 people sharing a room, I think you may even be more comfortable in Thunderbird/Kachina than El Tovar.

5. Re: Thunderbird Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 19, 2014