We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bike riding Grand Canyon South Rim

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
bike riding Grand Canyon South Rim

We just came back from the South Rim and had the best time bike riding there. We were very surprised that more people weren't doing it.

We rode from Hopi Point to Hermits Rest. We also rode to Yaki Point, and from the Visitor Center to Tusayan on the Greenway.

We brought our own bikes but parked by the Bright Angel Bicycles within the park (parking lot 4). This gives you easy access to the trails and your vehicle.

In order to get to Hopi Point for the mostly downhill ride to Hermits Rest, you need to put your bikes on the shuttle bus up to Hopi Point, the shuttles take about two at a time, so if there are several of you, you would have to divide up. You could also ride your bikes up to Hopi Point and onto Hermits Rest, however that would be strenuous. In our case, even though we had our own bikes we opted to use the Bright Angel Bike Rentals as our daughter is disabled and has her own bike. So, for that ride we rented bikes for ourselves and they took all of us and her bike to Hopi Point and met us about two hours later at Hermits Rest. Absolutely beautiful ride, the road is closed to cars so only the occasional shuttle bus on the very wide road, partway thru there is a bike path the goes off from the road. You get away from the crowds and see viewpoints most people don't see.

Back at the Bright Angel Bicycles, we used all our own bikes and set off for Yaki Point, a mostly level path that starts thru tree's (we saw elk here), and then follows a walking/bike path to Yaki Point, beautiful viewpoints along the way and very few people, (they are all at the visitors center).

After returning to the Bright Angel Bike Shop again, my daughter and I set off on the Greenway path to Tusayan, where we were staying at the BW. This path is slightly downhill, paved for about a third, and then hardpacked gravel and goes thru tree's. Very nice... My husband however, tried going from Tusayan up to the Visitors Center this way, very hard on the gravel and going uphill, so for an easy ride, going from the Bike Shop/Visitors Center is easiest.

Bright Angel Bike Shop was very helpful, and located perfectly for setting off on these trails. They have a great bike map and can point you in the right direction even if you don't rent bikes from them.

PS, if you have your own bikes and are heading to Zion, the Pa'rus Trail is absolutely stunning, goes over several bridges, and is very easy. And if you are also heading to Bryce the Red Canyon Trail is also great. On your way back (going West) from Bryce, get off about the summit, the trail follows the road, and coast downhill, and your driver (or husband in our case) picked us up near the end.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bike riding Grand Canyon South Rim

Thanks for the report. All those places you mentioned (Zion and Bryce included) are nice places to ride.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,466 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bike riding Grand Canyon South Rim

Glad you enjoyed your trip, thanks for the great info and reviews of the trails! That's also good to know about the gravel portion of the Greenway trail going into Tusayan - I thought they had paved it the whole way.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,466 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bike riding Grand Canyon South Rim

I just added this thread to the Top Questions list for the GC, hope that's ok! :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bike riding Grand Canyon South Rim

Glad to hear someone is enjoying biking at the South Rim. We brought our bikes there and loved riding out to Hermits Rest and back. No waiting for the shuttle if you ride the whole way. It is a bit strenuous at the beginning but once you're up on the mesa top it's just a bit rolly polly, which we found to be really fun. Then on the way back you can really fly down the last hill!

It's so much easier to get around on the bikes rather than trying to find a parking space with a car or waiting for the shuttle if you're on foot.

Aylesbury
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bike riding Grand Canyon South Rim

Just planning our cycle trip. 2 on bikes with back up in RV! Are the roads suitable for road bikes or do we need mountain bikes? Are there camp sites within cycling distance?

Aylesbury
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bike riding Grand Canyon South Rim

Can we use our road bikes for these routes or do we need mountain bikes? Anyone know where we can park an RV and go off cycling.? 2 of our party are not cycling so will need to be close to transport for them.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bike riding Grand Canyon South Rim

You absolutely can use road bikes. I would call the Bright Angel Bicycles for directions to their public parking lot, it is quite large and should fit an RV, plus it is location central for taking off on the bike trails. You would also be close to the Visitor Center for those that aren't biking. They can also give you a map of bike trails and their trail map is also on their website. You don't need to use their services but they are helpful. Have no idea about camping sites.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bike riding Grand Canyon South Rim

Here's a link to the bike routes: bikegrandcanyon.com/bike-rentals/…

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bike riding Grand Canyon South Rim

Me again, also on their website, they are closest to Parking Lot 4.

Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bike riding Grand Canyon South Rim

Very helpful biking info. Thanks! Wondering about biking difficulty levels for active 13 yr old girl and this report helped me~