We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon Trails. Water?

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Grand Canyon Trails. Water?

hey i was wondering if you guys know if the water supplied on the trails such as the year round and seasonal water supplies along the Bright Angel need to be treated?

or are they safe to drink without purifying it? should i buy iodine tablets?

Its gonna be my first time going to the Grand Canyon, thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,608 posts
249 reviews
1. Re: Grand Canyon Trails. Water?

Tell us more about your hiking plan. Are you doing a day hike or something more extended?

Los Angeles...
3 posts
2. Re: Grand Canyon Trails. Water?

just a day hike. i have a 2L camelbak and plan on refilling it at the water stations. but i was wondering if the water on the trails need to be purified of anything.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,608 posts
249 reviews
3. Re: Grand Canyon Trails. Water?

Generally it's fine on Bright Angel, but it's always a good idea to carry tablets if you can. If there are any problems there will be signs clearly posted at the trail head and other places around the park.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
855 reviews
4. Re: Grand Canyon Trails. Water?

I've always drunk it as it comes out of the taps and standpipes - no problem - should there be an unexpected problem, there will be signs, so carry the tablets to be on the safe side is a good idea. They're not heavy and take hardly any room. It can also happen, that there is NO water along the trails, so come prepared to be 'self sufficient'.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Grand Canyon Trails. Water?

>> i was wondering if you guys know if the water supplied on the trails such as the year round and seasonal water supplies along the Bright Angel need to be treated?

Note that there are only TWO trails in the Canyon with a piped supply of water: Bright Angel trail and North Kaibab trail. Water from these "spigots" is potable and does not need to be treated (it's all treated spring water, btw.) Some of the spigots are seasonal. Status of the spigots are posted every day on the board outside of the Backcountry Office at the South Rim.

There are also water stations at the major trailheads.

I'd recommend back-up water treatment if you're planning to hike further than the rest-houses. There are natural water sources (i.e. creeks, springs, etc.) along Bright Angel trail below Indian Garden.

Edited: 8:20 am, August 09, 2013
North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
6. Re: Grand Canyon Trails. Water?

If it's just a "Day-hike" on Bright angel trail, I assume you're going till Indian Gardens and returning back. In THAT case, you should be ok with 2L water pack.

The trial has some shades and water is available at the trail=head at rim, and at Indian Garden as well. No need to purify water at these locations - it's drinkable.

7. Re: Grand Canyon Trails. Water?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 11, 2014