We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gcnp

NJ
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gcnp

Heading to GCNP and south rim on 7/3 and staying one night at either Maswick or Thunderbird.

In early July, how warm is it at night? Was told that the Thunderbird is having some issues with their AC unit or whatever they have.

Also, looking for suggestions on best places to see sunrise and sunset based on where we may be staying on or close to rim.

ThankS!

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,378 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gcnp

Have you already made your in park reservations? If not you will need to do that ASAP! Don't wait on making those reservations because they will be gone!

Temps should be somewhere around mid 50's to 60 at night so really won't need a/c! Typically into the upper 80's during the day!

Sunrise/sunset is best viewed away from the village area! Walk away from this area a bit and find a nice spot and enjoy!! Don't get caught up in getting to this view point or that view point...they get way to crowed!

SJG

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gcnp

>> Also, looking for suggestions on best places to see sunrise and sunset based on where we may be staying on or close to rim.

Note that seeing sunrise/sunset really isn't about seeing the sun, it's about seeing the Canyon *during* sunrise and sunset. Any of the viewpoints into the Canyon would be appropriate for sunrise/sunset and we all have our favorites. There are more people out for sunset, so if you want to avoid crowds, you might want to avoid the popular ones, like Hopi Point (on Hermit Road), Mather (by the Visitors Center) and maybe Moran (out on Desert View Road.) That said, if that's where you happen to be, just relax and enjoy it.

Sunrise is actually my favorite and I've never encountered a "crowd" anywhere. If I'm staying at one of the lodges on the rim, I literally throw a fleece over my PJ's, maybe grab a cup of coffee, and wander out to the rim right in front of the lodges. I seem to like the spot right by Lookout Studio (in front of the Bright Angel cabins). Other times, I've gotten into the car and driven out Desert View Road - Yavapai Point and Grandview Points are great at sunrise. Basically, you really can't go wrong as long as you're at the rim.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gcnp

Do you have a reservation for either Maswik or Thunderbird? If not, you better secure it asap. I wouldn't worry about the AC. More than likely you won't need it. I have stayed overnight in July and we didn't even turn it on.

NJ
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gcnp

Yes, we have reservation at Thunderbird! We got lucky.

* Can you walk from Thunderbird to Visitors center and mather Point? Or, do you need to drive? My concern is driving the car once I "found" a parking spot at Thunderbird(heard that is an issue).

Thanks!!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,822 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gcnp

You can walk or use the convenient shuttle.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gcnp

>> Can you walk from Thunderbird to Visitors center and mather Point? Or, do you need to drive? My concern is driving the car once I "found" a parking spot at Thunderbird(heard that is an issue).

DON'T let the parking situation discourage you from driving to explore the park. You really do want to drive to the eastern viewpoints out Desert View Road; the shuttle will only take you as far as Yaki Point. The views from Grandview, Lipan, Moran, Desert View are quite different from what you'll see from the Village area. Grandview is one of my favorite views and, further east, Tanner Canyon opens up and you get a great view of the Colorado River and the Unkar Delta. It will definitely be worth having to re-park the car! :)

NJ
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gcnp

Thanks

We are driving in via desert view and plan to stop at many of the vantage points.

8. Re: Gcnp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 19, 2014