We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chances of getting a backcountry permit and rental of equip

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chances of getting a backcountry permit and rental of equip

Hello all! My wife and I (mid-late 20's couple) are on our honeymoon trip and we would like to take this opportunity to have a hike/camp experience in the grand canyon on 26-27 June. We plan to take the S.Kaibab trail to the Bright Angel Campground and back via the Bright Angel trail, completing it in 2D1N starting the hike as early as possible to avoid the sun.

Unfortunately after all the researching and planning we were informed that the backcountry permit for advance booking is full and the ranger advised us to try our luck for the daily application, which we will since we will arrive at the area on the 25th. Just would like to see if there is anyone who has such experience and if the chances of me getting the permit is good.

Also can anyone advice me on where is a good place to rent equipments for the hike/camp? I will be in Vegas on 23-24 and will return on 28th. I have made accommodations booking @ Kingman on the 27th June as I read that it is strongly encouraged by the contributors in here that it is not feasible to drive back to Vegas after doing the 2D1N trip in GCNP. Therefore I can rent the equipment either in Vegas or Kingman.

Thanks for your time and appreciate your input. Cheers!!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Chances of getting a backcountry permit and rental of equip

Btw, I've been recommending getting gear at the Market (general store) in the Park because you won't know whether you can get a backcountry permit until you get there. But you mention hiking in Yosemite prior to the GC. Do you have a Wilderness Permit reserved and accommodations booked in Yosemite? Getting reservations and permits in Yosemite during the summer are just as tough, if not more so, than the GC. You really don't want to arrive at either Park without them, imo.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,049 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Chances of getting a backcountry permit and rental of equip

Buying hiking boots as you arrive in the USA and then going hiking in the Grand Canyon in your new shoes is a really bad idea.

13. Re: Chances of getting a backcountry permit and rental of equip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 08, 2014