We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the Grand Canyon

San Francisco...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting the Grand Canyon

Hi,

My friends and I are planning to take flight from San Francisco to visit the Grand Canyon. We are students from Asia, we would like to know what's the most budget friendly way to get around to the grand canyon and what are the activities we can do at the national park, including lodging. We will be there for two days, would this be sufficient ? Please help ! Thanks

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,043 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the Grand Canyon

When do you plan this trip?

You would need to fly to Las Vegas and drive to GCNP South Rim from there. Are you able to drive? You can also fly to Flagstaff (flights connect through Phoenix) and take a shuttle to GCNP. This takes careful planning.

It is best to stay in the park. 2 days is sufficient.

grandcanyonlodges.com

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,593 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting the Grand Canyon

When? As Bob mentioned, this is critical. Putting together a successful trip to the GCNP requires advance planning, often several months in advance.

Flying to LV and driving to the park is the most cost effective plan. But getting reservations for lodging must be the top priority.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
565 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting the Grand Canyon

If it were me, I would probably just drive the 12 hours and use the money I saved from flights to stay an extra night. If you can drive, then you could pack your car up with food, beverages, gear etc. and not have to worry about weight and what not. And possibly throw in camping gear. You can get a decent tent for the cost of one night lodging or one plane ticket.

Remember all the extra time you need for flights plus the five hour drive from Vegas. The time it takes you to get to the airport, parking, transit etc. (maybe 1 hour), Getting there before the flight (2 hours), flight time (2 hours), getting luggage and rental car (1 hour), drive to GCNP (5 hours). That is 11 hours versus a 12 hour drive.

If you cannot drive, you have to fly to Flagstaff which might be $250 r/t. (plus $50 r/t shuttle per person)

A plane ticket to Las Vegas might be $150 roundtrip (plus car rental)

4. Re: Visiting the Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 16, 2014