We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GCNP, Page and Bryce Canyon - realistic for a single driver?

Moscow
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
GCNP, Page and Bryce Canyon - realistic for a single driver?

Hello everyone!

I'm planning a trip for the next month and thinking about visiting all these places. My suggestion is to fly from New York (or LA) to Phoenix (or Flagstaff will be better?), rent a car and go to Williams or Tusayan and spend one night there. Next day visit GCNP (till 2-3 p.m. maybe) and go to Page. Then one night in Page, Antelope canyon in the afternoon and going to Bryce for one night (hope to see sunset and sunrise there). Then I'm planning to go to Las Vegas (maybe with one night stop if it is too hard to make it in one day) and spend a couple of days there before my flight to New York.

But I'm travelling only with my son (12 y.o.) so I have to do all this as a single driver. And I'm really worrying about roads (I have almost no experience of driving in mountains), wild animals on them, lack of people on roads (and possibilities of help), etc. So, how do you think, is it safe enough for the woman with a child to make this trip? And maybe some suggestions how to make it easier?

Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Williams
Williams
Arizona
Tusayan
Tusayan
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,468 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GCNP, Page and Bryce Canyon - realistic for a single driver?

I think you're trying to do too much in too little time. The roads are fine. Wildlife will only be an issue after darkness. It's your plan that needs work. Reduce the number of destinations or add more time.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,033 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GCNP, Page and Bryce Canyon - realistic for a single driver?

I'm a mom and I've visited this area often with just my son and have never felt unsafe. While there are some elevation changes along the route, it's not exactly "mountain driving", nor will you be alone, especially in May. I don't think you need to worry.

A couple of suggestions I would make regarding your itinerary:

This is quite late to be planning a May trip and I strongly suggest that you start making some lodging reservations as soon as possible. You may find some limitations in availability, especially at the Grand Canyon and Bryce. I would recommend staying inside the Park at both.

I personally would favor more time in the Parks over multiple days in Las Vegas. I like Las Vegas but I don't quite understand the allure it seems to have for our overseas visitors. You won't be missing anything if you skip it all together; if you have to see it, allocate just one night.

I think ALL of the Parks deserve two nights each, so that you have a full day there. Spend at least one night at the Grand Canyon so that you see sunset and sunrise. Between Bryce and Las Vegas is Zion National Park. I would plan for two days (3 nights) there.

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GCNP, Page and Bryce Canyon - realistic for a single driver?

Thank you very much for your replies!

I'll try to add one day :) As for Zion, I know that it is really beautiful but I don't think that I'll have enough time (and energy) to visit it. Next time, I hope )

There are no any available hotels in GC village for my dates (it was predictable of course) but there are still some in Tusayan. I think that it is the best choice in this situation

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: GCNP, Page and Bryce Canyon - realistic for a single driver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 11, 2014