We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights too much

Warrnambool...
Level Contributor
397 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights too much

HI All, we are travelling to the US in Sept/ Oct with our family of 5 from Australia. 3 kids aged 18-12. We have booked 3 nights at Yavapai in October. Will this be too many? Would two be better?

Cheers

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights too much

It depends. If you are keen outdoor people who love hiking (not necessarily strenuous hike,s but being out and about for much of the day), then two full days is not too much. It also depends a bit what you do before and after. If you go to Page for instance, two nights there (as opposed to only one) is always highly recommendable. Basically, the average visitors spend one or two nights at the GC. If you really, really want to explore as much as you can there, then stick with the three nights, you definitely won't run out of options.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,072 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights too much

Your time would be enhanced by adding a night at Sedona or Page. 2 nights will probably be sufficient for GCNP.

K C
Atlanta
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights too much

I agree; it depends on the family. I recently spent 3 nights there with kids and we didn't feel like it was too long -- but we also spent a whole day hiking below the rim. If you do decide to stay with 3 nights, you'll have time for ranger programs people tend to miss. Mine enjoyed getting their Junior Ranger Grand Canyon badge, which took a whole afternoon.

Warrnambool...
Level Contributor
397 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights too much

Thanks everyone for your replies. We have decided on one night in Flagstaff as we have family friends there and will do Sedona from there and then two nights at the GC.

Does anyone think the mule tour is worthwhile? $122 pp

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights too much

No, the mule ride is not worth the money. It doesn't take you along the Canyon rim, it goes through the forest to a Canyon lookout. There are much better ways to spend your time and money.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,072 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights too much

The mule ride is just that. It is a ride on a beast,in the forest, away from the canyon. I would skip it.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights too much

Some family members told me that the mule trip was the trip of a life-time. I've never done it myself. It's curious to see the expressions of the mule riders while hiking in the Canyon. The drops on the side of the trail would seem more dramatic from a higher perspective. Also, keep in mind, that the ride is not easy on your back or your legs, as you can see when people are dismounting.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,072 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights too much

We're talking about two different mule rides.

The trip that goes to Phantom Ranch is an overnight trip. It is limited to (I believe) 10 riders per day. The cost is just under $1K per person. It books up about one year in advance. That is a trip of a life time.

There are no other mule trips inside the canyon. The other option is a 3-4 hour ride, above the rim. Through the forest, with a few short views of the canyon. It is, by most accounts, nothing more than a ride on a mule and a way to waste time at the GCNP.

Decatur, Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights too much

Honestly, I'd spend all day and one night at the Grand Canyon (Yavapai is VERY comfortable btw) and more time in Sedona. The GC is amazing, but a couple of hikes and photo ops (the observation tower is cool) and we felt like we'd "done" the canyon.

A couple of other tips...the breakfast in the Bright Angel lodge was gross. Dinner at El Tovar was worth the splurge (make reservations) and the best casual meal we had while there was, surprisingly, the deli in the General Store.

Make sure that between Sedona and the Grand Canyon you drive 89 through Oak Creek Canyon rather than interstate 17. GORGEOUS drive!

Warrnambool...
Level Contributor
397 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 nights too much

Thanks so much everyone for your input :)