We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice about Bright Angel Lodge vs Maswik Lodge

North Carolina
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice about Bright Angel Lodge vs Maswik Lodge

So today I checked the website to see if a room had opened up at any place inside the GC, and to my surprise, there were rooms available at the Maswik Lodge. (THANK YOU to all of you who suggested checking daily; I wouldn't have thought to do that...) We are coming in early April.

I ended up actually calling the reservation line instead of doing it online, and was told that a "partial view" cabin w/ log fireplace, etc., was available at Bright Angel; this didn't show up on the website. Of course, the price is about $100 more, with 1 queen bed instead of 2.

We are there for only 1 night, arriving early-mid afternoon after flying into, and driving from, Las Vegas. We will be pretty tired, so the thought of sunset at the rim, followed by cocktails in our room with a gas fire, sounded pretty awesome, so that's what I booked. We will be headed to Sedona the next afternoon.

I'm not sure the Maswik rooms are still available, but is the Bright Angel's proximity to the rim, or any other amenities, worth the price? The agent explained about the construction going on, but it sounds like that happens during the day and shouldn't bother us at night. He also made an issue of the BA being "historic" vs. the Maswik being "modern" (I interpret this as "rustic" vs "renovated?")

What do you think? I will happily keep checking to see if there are other openings; I'm so excited that we have a place inside the park.

Is Williams the best place to get liquor, mixers, snacks, etc, on the way there?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,147 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice about Bright Angel Lodge vs Maswik Lodge

Bright Angel is older but the cabins have been updated. The proximity on the rim makes it a superior choice over the newer and more distant Maswick. You made an excellent choice, given that you had to do it on the spur of the moment. Had you waited or declined, it probably would have disappeared within 5 minutes or so.

Williams is a good place to stop for supplies including alcohol. There is a Safeway and I think a Basha's too. Both are food markets, but in AZ they stock a full selection of beer, wine and liquor.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice about Bright Angel Lodge vs Maswik Lodge

Does 1 queen bed work (i.e. are there just 2 of you planning to share a bed) anyway? If so, I'd take the Bright Angel room in a heartbeat for the location alone. In fact, we did just that last June with our family of 4 including 2 children, moving from a Yavapai 2 queen room to 2 BA Lodge rooms without bath (the cabins all have private baths, as do some of the lodge rooms). We slept with 1 adult and 1 child in each room, and it was a great adventure, and so awesome to walk out the door and be at the rim in just a few steps.

Common advice here is to not worry about a view from the room -- you'll want to be outside for the real view anyway, and in the dark it makes no difference. But BA is *right* on the rim, as opposed to a 5-10 minute walk; that trumps almost all other considerations.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,147 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice about Bright Angel Lodge vs Maswik Lodge

Emphasizing. It's all about location. The closer to the rim, the higher the demand. As long as you can sleep your party in the bedding provided, you should choose the best location available. Location doesn't equate to views from the room. Don't expect any. Rather, it's the proximity, or the number of steps from your bed to the edge of the Grand Canyon.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice about Bright Angel Lodge vs Maswik Lodge

Great to hear, RedRox, thank you. We will also heed your advice in previous posts to bring flashlights; wouldn't have thought of that, either.

Now to figure out where we might want to aim for dinner before we fall on our faces from jet lag, altitude, etc! Any suggestions about that?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice about Bright Angel Lodge vs Maswik Lodge

Yes, there are just the 2 of us, so one queen bed works (it's just a bit "squeezy," but we'll be so tired that we won't be awake long enough to notice!).

I hear you: location, location, location! I've got goosebumps just thinking about it. Cannot wait.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,147 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice about Bright Angel Lodge vs Maswik Lodge

El Tovar is the nicest place to dine at GCNP. I like it even better for breakfast. Since you'll have been traveling all day, I suggest that you pick up some snacks and picnic supplies when you stop for booze along the way. Plan to have supper al fresco on the rim, or even in your cabin after sunset.

The closest dining room would be the Arizona Room at the opposite end of BA Lodge. The most casual would be the cafeteria at Maswick.

Go to breakfast at El Tovar after sunrise.

California
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice about Bright Angel Lodge vs Maswik Lodge

The Arizona Room is my favorite place for dinner at the Rim. The tables by the window have nice canyon views.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice about Bright Angel Lodge vs Maswik Lodge

Just a word about that "partial" view cabin. We stayed in one in October and it was great. Our cabin was 25 (I counted them) of my footsteps to the railing at the rim of the canyon. From the room, we could see that there was a canyon there, but not the jaw-dropping view you get from the rim itself. We were very pleased with the cabin and our view. I mention this only because other people were actually disappointed that the view wasn't what they expected; totally overlooked the proximity to the rim itself. The construction didn't bother us; started at about 8:30 in the morning and finished before 5:00pm when we were there.

We ate at both El Tovar and the Arizona Room during our stay. Both were good. Arizona Room doesn't take reservations so if you are there at a busy time in the park you may wait a bit for a table at prime times. You can make a reservation for El Tovar, so if the budget permits that may be the thing to do before you get there. You can always have a look at the Arizona Room after you arrive and decide which place meets your needs. It's an easy walk between BA and El Tovar.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice about Bright Angel Lodge vs Maswik Lodge

Nice score on the BA cabin! :) You'll love it. Also, I agree about having dinner at El Tovar. In addition, do have breakfast at El Tovar, as RR mentioned. It's the best meal anytime, anywhere inside the GCNP. The Sonoran Style Eggs and Polenta Pancakes are delicious, and plentiful; they also have a wide range of other dishes.

As for snacks and drinks, you can certainly stop in Wiliams and will probably pay a bit less there, but in case you forget anything, there is a very well-stocked Market inside the GCNP, and the prices are surprisingly reasonable, even for alcohol.

Edited: 1:35 pm, March 22, 2013
North Carolina
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice about Bright Angel Lodge vs Maswik Lodge

25 steps to the railing! OMG, how very cool. Who could complain about that?!?!

We're already reading and discussing the menus at El Tovar; we don't mind spending money on great food; in fact, it's a serious focus. We could accurately be called "foodies," although I dislike that term. Sounds like a big breakfast is a perfect way to start the day.

Re sunset and sunrise times: somewhere on this forum I thought I'd seen a link to that, but now can't find it. Does anyone know of a specific site?

Thanks!