We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving by ourself not possible?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Driving by ourself not possible?

Hi,

My question is about south rim. I have read somewhere that between mars - november some of the best points for sunset and sunrise (at least for the ones located along Hermit Road like Hopi) are only accesses by busses. Even if they are free we prefer doing trips like this with my own car. If it not possible to be driving by ourself how long does it take to reach for example Hopi by buss?

Edited: 12:17 am, March 18, 2013
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving by ourself not possible?

Bringing a flashlight will come handy walking in the dark. It' really is dark out there.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving by ourself not possible?

Obviously the promontories jutting out into the canyon are better for sunrise / sunset than in between, but they also get more people. I'd just scope it some during the day and decide on a good spot along the rim. The most crowded spot is right outside El Tovar at the village. You'll get sensational pictures at most any spot if the lighting is right (re clouds, etc.) We liked Yavapai Point last year and got really great pictures there.

Hermits Road: the shuttle bus is really frequent. We walked the whole length from El Tovar to Hermit's Rest along the rim, and we were more or less on our own except at the viewpoints - the vistas are fabulous.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving by ourself not possible?

>>We walked to the rim for sunset from Yavapai and, although it was a fairly long walk, we walked up on a group of elk crossing the path right in front of us and it was an awesome sight.<<

We were headed back to Tusayan for the night a few years ago and saw a guy who'd stopped his car and turned on his highbeams to make the bull elk really visible and was racing across the street to take a photo...in mating season. My dad and I stared in disbelief that he would that until, finally, my dad said "I'm rooting for the elk."

Edited: 9:53 am, March 21, 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving by ourself not possible?

The Canyon profile is a little different going east (Hermit Road) and west (Desert View Road). At the eastern-most viewpoints, the Canyon is more wide and open and there are expansive views of the Colorado River. At the western viewpoints, the side canyons are much more dramatic. Everybody has their personal preferences for the "best" views.

I think Desert View Road, which you can drive yourself, is great for sunsets. If you're interested, here are some (very amateur) pictures I took at Mohave, Moran, Lipan and Grandview points last April, in the late afternoon as the sun was setting. They'll give you an idea about what the views are like.

http://sumi.zenfolio.com/gc_apr12_dv

15. Re: Driving by ourself not possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 23, 2014