We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Remote camping at the North Rim Grand Canyon

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
82 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Remote camping at the North Rim Grand Canyon

Hello - I will be returning to the spectacular North Rim this May and after a few nights in the cabins we are thinking of spending one night camping remotely. I have read about some pretty easy 4 wheel drive roads that might be 40 miles out or so and you can camp on the rim almost by yourself - which sounds amazing. Has anyone done this? Have any recommendations? Ideas on where to go? I will do more research but I love trip advisor forums too and have gotten lots of great help here! Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,192 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Remote camping at the North Rim Grand Canyon

I haven't done it, but I've been to some of the places. I like Timp Point. Check it out.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,348 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Remote camping at the North Rim Grand Canyon

I believe what you are referring to is out by Marble Canyon Overlook! It is a beautiful spot and very remote...no facilities of any kind so be prepared to pack in and pack out!

If you stop at the Visitor's Center at the North Rim and inquire about it they will give you directions on how to get there! Pretty simple route on a graded dirt road...approx 13 miles or so to the campground!

The road to get out there is outside the park and is marked by numbers! We took a regular SUV (no 4x4) during a light rain and had no problem! That's not saying if it's a torrential down pour you won't have problems getting out there. Keep an eye on the weather before you go!!!

Enjoy

SJG

conn
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Remote camping at the North Rim Grand Canyon

read the details on the park web site before you even consider going out to this campsite

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Remote camping at the North Rim Grand Canyon

Tuweep CG is out at Toroweap a long 4x4 drive. May might be a good time, after mud season and before monsoon season! If you have your own 4x4 shouldn't be a problem, rental cars are not allowed off pavement, certainly not on the roads to Toroweap. This is on my bucket list!

www.hitthetrail.com/toroweap-tuweep

nps.gov/grca/…Tuweep-Brochure201101.pdf

www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/tuweep.htm

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,192 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Remote camping at the North Rim Grand Canyon

Toroweep is a great destination, but as noted, not really at the GCNP NR. You'll need a properly modified off road vehicle and you'll need to get there in the morning. I believe there are a total of nine campsites available, and they get snapped up quickly once they are filled there are no other options nearby. And yes, it is strictly monitored.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,240 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Remote camping at the North Rim Grand Canyon

You can camp pretty much anywhere in the Kaibab National Forest which sort of "hugs" the north rim of the Canyon -- up to the rim is GCNP (no camping without a permit) and from the rim out is National Forest. The NF is accessed via forest service roads which vary a lot in conditions, maintenance, etc.

I'm not really familiar with area but we did a hike off of Monument Point a few years ago and did some driving in that area (admittedly because we were a bit lost...) The roads were in good condition and we had no problems negotiating them in our rental Ford Escape ("intermediate SUV" category.) It's a long drive out there from Kanab/Fredonia or Jacob Lake/NR but there are some spectacular rim spots. There's actually a campground at Indian Hollow and I've heard/read people waxing about their camping experiences at Crazy Jug and Parissawampitts Point. We did drive to Crazy Jug and it's a nice spot. I'd recommend getting a national forest map for these roads though I have to say that the signage was actually quite good, certainly much better than we were expecting.

Not a lot of water available on the rim, so make sure you have a couple of days' worth if you're doing any remote camping.

St. George, Utah
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Remote camping at the North Rim Grand Canyon

Up on the North Rim I would suggest using Google Earth to find Forest Service Roads to get where you would like to be. But you will be alone so maybe bring a mountain bike to get back to a real road just in case. I would primitive camp anywhere on one of those roads. Please no camp fires.

Toroweap, is to the west and at the plateau level, we were just out there 2 weeks ago and it's great. Stay away if it's been raining or going to rain, and definitely stay offf of Mt Trumble when wet. My Forester with all wheel drive does just fine, no need for a 4WD ego machine. In the technical spot just slow down and pick your line. Be gentle on your tires, be prepared to fix them yourself, a tow job is about $2k

zionguide.com, we are local's

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,240 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Remote camping at the North Rim Grand Canyon

+1 on Google Earth. Great tool. I'm going to be hiking in the Canyon in a few weeks and meeting up with some friends who are going to be on a private river trip. We've been using Google Earth to study the area around the Confluence and down Beamer for possible rendezvous points where I'd be able to scramble down to the river and they'll be able to pull up on their raft. We can almost agree on which rock I'll be sitting on... lol

Btw, in May, there will be enough traffic on roads around the big trailheads like Monument Point, Crazy Jug, Indian Hollow that, while still remote, it's not like you'll be waiting alone for days if you get stuck. I can't speak for other areas in the NF.

Tucson
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Remote camping at the North Rim Grand Canyon

First step is to go to an REI, find the map section and get a North Grand Canyon map. It will have all of the trails and roads listed. Then your second step is to check with the rangers. Do not rely on people’s memories, it is HOT, REMOTE, and you can die! People are always getting lost around Tucson, and some die why chance it!

10. Re: Remote camping at the North Rim Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 22, 2014