We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mule Ride- best location?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
119 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mule Ride- best location?

We are traveling to Bryce and the North Rim this summer and would like to experience a horse/mule ride. Would appreciate any insight into which park would be the better location.

We prefer a shorter ride but want to make it worthwhile, will have adults and, pre teens. We are two nights in each park.

RedRox, I think I've seen you post that Bryce is better for riding?

Thanks all- any input appreciated.

(i will also post this is Bryce Forum)

Mentioned in this post
Grand Canyon North Rim
Grand Canyon North Rim
1,890 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,382 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mule Ride- best location?

I prefer the ride at Bryce because it gets you down into the canyon among the hoodoos.

A day ride at the GCNP NR will either take you through the forest along the rim, or down the North Kaibab trail to Supai Tunnel and back.

Mentioned in this post
North Kaibab Trail
North Kaibab Trail
172 Reviews
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,245 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mule Ride- best location?

Also posted in Bryce forum... report from a friend's sister

"I took advantage of three guided trails (1/2 day): at the North Rim, at Bryce Canyon and at Zion.

"At the North Rim, our group of eight went to the Supai Tunnel. The weather was crisp and with afternoon thundershowers, I was happy I had scheduled a morning ride. Our guide was Wes, a knowledgeable Trail Boss, who not only kept a keen eye on our group, but stopped for picture-taking opportunities throughout the ride. He pointed out different rock formations along the way as well. The ride to Supai was filled with switchbacks, but the view from the turn-around was well-worth the effort. The mules were sure-footed so I felt confident enjoying the view, one I would not have seen without the assistance of Ronny (my mule for this ride). One convenience at the North Rim is the “Mule Desk” where one can register or pick up tickets for the rides. This is open each evening until 5pm daily. There was no photographer at the end of the ride as was at Bryce but each rider received a certificate of accomplishment at the conclusion of the ride signed by the Trail Master with a place for date, name of rider and name of mount…a nice memento of the ride. The guides were also willing to use your camera for a photo while still mounted.

"The next ride was at Bryce Canyon, another morning, ½ day ride, again thankful for the morning schedule as we were still having afternoon showers. Though some rode mules, on this ride I was assigned a horse, Two Feathers. “Feathers” was a wonderful mount though energetic after having a day of rest. Our guide this time was Dave, another well-informed, knowledgeable leader. I wished I had been able to record all of the history he gave us. At first Bryce seemed nothing more than a bunch of hoodoos, but Dave brought this area to life. He not only focused on the rock aspects of the canyon but the flora as well. I hated to see this ride end. At Bryce, as at the North Rim, there is a “Mule Desk” at the lodge for registering for a ride or picking up your ticket for a ride already reserved. A ticket for a ride must be presented at the corral prior to the ride. At Bryce a photographer was available around the first bend in the trail snapping pictures of the riders. This was available for purchase at the end of the ride and was only $6. During the summer season this service may have been available at the North Rim and at Zion but was not available mid September.

"The last ride of my trip was at Zion. We only encountered hikers during the very first part of the ride. Brent was out guide who had many years of experience in and around Zion which he shared with us. My mount was again a horse rather than a mule. “Whiskey” knew the trail well and went at his own pace. There were places that had been cemented on this ride where the trail had a tendency to wash away and with more sand in other areas, the ride was not as smooth as the other two, but perhaps because I had already been on two ½ day rides. It was a peaceful ride and we climbed higher than I expected since much of the ride was through wooded areas. Despite this, there were some magnificent views of the river and the canyons. There was no one taking photos on the ride though there was a stand at the stable labeled “photos” so this may be a service earlier in the year. At Zion, there was no “Mule Desk” in the lodge so tickets needed to be picked up at the corral across the street.

"All three rides were ones I would recommend. The mule ride was a surprise since I had expected being on the back of a mule would be very uncomfortable. However, the mules are sure-footed and I was pleasantly surprised and actually found riding a mule smoother than on a horse. All the animals seemed in excellent health. The rides were wonderful."

Mentioned in this post
Grand Canyon North Rim
Grand Canyon North Rim
1,890 Reviews
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
119 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mule Ride- best location?

Terrific stuff guys. Much thanks

4. Re: Mule Ride- best location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 18, 2014