We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

combining Grand Canyon & Sedona in 7 days

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
combining Grand Canyon & Sedona in 7 days

Will be traveling between March 24 and 31st. On the 24 we will be in Las Vegas. Grand Canyon was always on our to go to places list and Sedona also looks interesting. I just found West Fork Oak Creek park where hiking is supposedly good. I really don't want to drive much. Would prefer to stay in one area and explore around (possibly mules, helicopter for GC). Walking in West Fork Oak Creek Park in tree shade if the trails are well marked.

Any suggestions for an itinerary for us? What are must see in the area?

Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: combining Grand Canyon & Sedona in 7 days

That area is known as the survivalist mecca. Get any supplies from a gas station. Make sure to include pepper spray and garbage bags

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: combining Grand Canyon & Sedona in 7 days

Between Las Vegas and GC you can see Hoover Dam and drive parts of R66 esp between Kingman and Seligman with a stop at Hackberry.

Have you already made your reservations for GCNP? www.grandcanyonlodges.com

You can enter GCNP via Williams and leave it on the way to Sedona via its east entrance and visit place like Cameron Trading Post, Wupatki NM, Sunset Crater Volcano NM, Flagstaff and Walnut Canyon NM on your way. Take az89A from Flagstaff to Sedona. A very scenic stretch of road via Oak Creek Canyon.

Tet

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: combining Grand Canyon & Sedona in 7 days

Before you get too far in planning an itinerary, I would see what accommodations are available in that time period. I know that the GCNP lodges are mostly (if not completely) sold out around Easter weekend. Call Xanterra directly (888-297-2757) and see what and when they have availability and work your itinerary around that.

>> That area is known as the survivalist mecca. Get any supplies from a gas station. Make sure to include pepper spray and garbage bags

??? LOL... I have no idea what this means... No, no pepper spray needed.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: combining Grand Canyon & Sedona in 7 days

Missed post #1. Pepper spray???

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,306 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: combining Grand Canyon & Sedona in 7 days

Disregard post #1.

Plan 1-2 nights at GCNP inside the park if you can get a room there. Otherwise settle for Tusayan just outside the park. Give the rest of your time to Sedona. There's way more to see and do there than you can imagine. West Fork is just a half day hike, and in March it could still be chilly and tough to cross the creek as it runs high from snow melt.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

…go.com/Travel/…

http://vimeo.com/57884666

6. Re: combining Grand Canyon & Sedona in 7 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 15, 2014