We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hikes from Bright Angel Campsite

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
148 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
hikes from Bright Angel Campsite

Hello there,

would you be able to reccommend a few hikes from the Bright Angel Campsite. I am thinking of spending a couple of night there (permit allowing!) and I was wondering whether there is enough to do in the area to keep me busy hiking when based at Bright Angel.

The other option would be to stay one night at BA and then walk to the Nort Rim (via Cottownwood) but I am a bit put off by the long drive North Rim to South Rim to get back. Is it worth it?

Thanks

Hike

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
581 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hikes from Bright Angel Campsite

Hello..... We're heading to Orange County today Dec 29th by noon after a wonderful full day at the GC with two overnight stay at the Yavapai.

Please advise on the best direction / route ---most updated especially taking weather into consideration.

By looking at the map--- 40 to 15 via Victorville seems to be the obvious route.

How about taking the 40 to 95 to 10 west?

Is the 95 south doable? Weather permitting & easy drive?

What's a good pit stop for lunch that's interesting on the 40.

Thank you!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hikes from Bright Angel Campsite

Rather than invade a ongoing thread...Best to call AAA, as they are in the highway advice business... carracar

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
581 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hikes from Bright Angel Campsite

Sorry..thought I was posting a new thread.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,556 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hikes from Bright Angel Campsite

Hike, I'm getting the impression from your questions that you're still in the early stages of doing research for this hike. SJG gave you a link to a good online resource for hiking in the GC, www.hitthetrail.com, and I think it would be well worth your time to browse through it. It provides information about dayhikes from Phantom Ranch (Bright Angel Campground), the TransCanyon shuttle, etc. The author is a well-known veteran GC hiker.

It's a little difficult to make suggestions about hiking without an idea of your hiking experience and style. The Grand Canyon is vast, and the hiking can be as demanding, rugged and technical as anyone could want... it just depends on what you're looking for and what you're capable of.

Have you mentioned exactly *when* you're hoping to do this hike? It makes a big difference. In summer weather (late-May to early-September), daytime temperatures at Phantom Ranch/Bright Angel Campground will exceed 100degF and many hikers are happy to stick close to the river or Bright Angel Creek. Otherwise, good dayhikes are Clear Creek trail and Utah Flats (off-trai route.) If you're not doing a R2R, a dayhike to Ribbon Falls up North Kaibab Trail.

I'm assuming that you've never been to the Grand Canyon? My suggesion -- and I may very well be wrong, of course -- is that you're underestimating its size and ruggedness. My recommendation is to make moderate plans, plan on less than 10 miles per day and avoid the summer months if at all possible.

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
148 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hikes from Bright Angel Campsite

Thanks very much for all your suggestions! And yes, I am on very early days as far as planning goes.

I am late 30s and am used to walking long distances on rugged terrain..I do prefer long days hiking rather than short ones. But I am not used to walking in extreme heat. Planning to go mid-late may this year.

Thanks for your advice.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,556 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hikes from Bright Angel Campsite

>> Planning to go mid-late may this year.

In which case, you MUST submit your backcountry permit request by fax on January 1st, which is just 3 days from now. Corridor permits for the second half of May are the most competitive permits to obtain and will be fully booked after the January 1st lottery; if you don't apply on this date, you won't get a permit. Even if you do, your chances are only so-so.

I would recommend being as flexible as you can and be sure to fax in the request by 5pm MST. Fax number is 928-638-2125.

nps.gov/grca/…permit-request.pdf

If successful, the BCO will email you permit results in about a week, then mail you the actual permit a few weeks later.

I hope I'm stressing the importance of this. Don't expect walk-up permits to be available for May corridor trails. Rangers check for permits every day on the corridor trails and will force you to hike out right then and there if you don't have one!

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hikes from Bright Angel Campsite

A strenuous hike from Bright Angel Campground is the Utah Flats trail, which starts at campsite #1. This trail can lead into a multi-day hike. The Clear Creek Trail is also near the campground--the first few miles are much easier than the Utah Flats Trail and lead to good overlooks of BA Campground. You could also visit Ribbon Falls from B.A. campground--a rather long but easy day hike to a beautiful waterfall.

Good luck with the permit.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hikes from Bright Angel Campsite

a bit more on the permit process. DetTigerFan gave you the link to the form. Fill it out completely, requesting alternate dates for Bright Angel camp if possible. Make sure you get the right code for that campground.

It can be faxed anytime after midnight on January 1, that is midnight on Airzona time, MST. I believe that is 8 hours from Sweden, so 8 am in sweden. Check that to be sure because if you send it before midnight Arizona time, it won't coumnt. 10 am in Sweden should be safe, and you should not have any trouble getting through on the fax number at that time.

All permit requests received before 5 pm on Jan. 1 are treated the same--the earlier ones do not get priority. They mix them all around into random order, like a lottery, and then fill them one by one.

Once you get your permit, with 2 nights at Bright Angel campground, you can start your hike planning.

9. Re: hikes from Bright Angel Campsite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 03, 2014