We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Winter at the Grand Canyon

We are travelling in an RV for 17 days concentrating on the south/ warmer areas.However we want to visit the Grand Canyon.The RV will be/can be de-winterized after the Canyon if we go. I have 2 options as I see it for this trip. Stay in Sedona for 5 days and hire a car (we were going to anyway) for sightseeing and to visit the Grand Canyon(day trip or over night?). Or spend 2 days in the Grand Canyon in the RV (apparently they say you can use the toilet as they put antifreeze in there, but no showers) and 3 nights in Sedona. We will be travelling on to Tucson after Sedona. Some advice would be great as I noticed there nightly lows are around 10 degress or even less at the moment. We would stay in the full hook up park so we can have the heater running.

Are we mad?

Edited: 5:26 am, November 13, 2012
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,724 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter at the Grand Canyon

I would drive the rental car to the Grand Canyon (South Rim) and stay in one of the park lodges. You'll want a car in the park to drive to the various viewpoints, which is a lot more cumbersome with an RV. Also, consider that you could potentially experience snow on the road -- not sure how confident you are about driving the RV in winter conditions.

Descriptions and reservations for the lodges are here: www.grandcanyonlodges.com

That said, of course, if you're not fazed by winter conditions, then it could be a great adventure winter camping on the rim!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,449 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter at the Grand Canyon

When you come south to Tucson, the nightly low temperatures will typically be above freezing. I have my son's RV stored at my house (outside) and it has been through many nights below freezing. It doesn't get cold enough here for a long enough period for anything to freeze as long as we have the heat on for nights below freezing.

Sedona's overnight temperatures in early December will be at or a little below freezing. GCNP will be a hard freeze every night to about -8 C.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,102 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter at the Grand Canyon

Today in Sedona it is sunny and beautiful with a high of 70. Last night it was below freezing. Tonight will be the same. These conditions would be the absolute best that you could anticipate for Sedona in December. Expect much colder. The GCNP is already experiencing winter weather conditions.

Personally I wouldn't even bother with an RV trip at that time of year. But plan to use a car for the GCNP at least.

You will probably save money and have a better time if you skip the RV and travel by car and stay in traditional hotel rooms.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter at the Grand Canyon

Thanks RedRox, I think we will plan to rent the car in Sedona and stay overnight at the Grand Canyon at a lodge as we have never experienced temperatures so low before. We are super excited by our RV trip, we are doing the southern parts in the RV and then will be dropping it off in Dallas and picking up a friends SUV for the loop back via Santa Fe to LA. The RV was heavily discounted with many extras thrown in and is cheaper than a SUV to hire so if we feel like staying in a hotel or 2 thats no problem.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,724 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter at the Grand Canyon

>> The RV was heavily discounted with many extras thrown in and is cheaper than a SUV to hire

If this is your first time renting an RV in the U.S., make sure you read the fine print. In my experience, most RV rentals charge for mileage over a daily allowance, while most car rentals do not. Driving distances in the southwest are quite far and you would normally expect to exceed the standard allowance easily. Those mileages charges can really add up.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,102 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter at the Grand Canyon

The RV rental could be free and you could still find costs to exceed that of renting a car and staying in traditional hotels. Understand the actual costs.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter at the Grand Canyon

Thanks Det, the RV deal comes with 1600 miles, we have worked out we will need a few more but have costed that into our trip.

8. Re: Winter at the Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, December 16, 2013