We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road conditions from LV to GCNP South Rim in December

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
Road conditions from LV to GCNP South Rim in December

I intend to visit the South Rim of GCNP in December 2012. Planning to drive from Las Vegas and stay over for a night before making my way back to LV. Thus, I would like to know how are the road conditions during December. Will the roads be slippery due to snow/rain? Anything to look out for during the trip there especially during the car ride?

Thanks in advance :)

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
829 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road conditions from LV to GCNP South Rim in December

The closer you get to the GC, the higher you'll be and the more likely you are to encounter (a bit of) snow. However, espeically if you're traveling the first half of December, it's unlikely to be very much snow - and this being most frequented, straight roads, only a major storm would close them down for up to a day ot so. In most likelihood you'll encounter no problems at all. Most of you way will be Interstate (I-40), ad that gets clear as fast as feasible. So most of the time that route will be perfectly fine.

Should there be some rain, the roads are still fine, not to worry. Even a flurry of snow will not impede driving - you'd only want to slow down a bit then and keep your distance to the next vehicle.

Have you already made your reservation at an in-park lodge? If not, do so right away!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,755 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road conditions from LV to GCNP South Rim in December

Road conditions will be fine unless there is an active snow storm. If that happens it will be apparent and warnings for road closures will be broadcast when applicable.

Storms move quickly, and once they pass, roads get cleared quickly.

www.az511.com

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road conditions from LV to GCNP South Rim in December

Thanks for the replies. Looking at the accommodations in GC village now. Considering between El Tovar (Standard 1 Double) and Bright Angel Lodge (Cabin 1 Queen or Cabin 1 Queen with Partial View). Any recommendations?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road conditions from LV to GCNP South Rim in December

I am surprised there is that much choice on lodging. If you are 2 people, an El Tovar double is exactly that, a double bed, and a small room. You might enjoy the partial view BA room if still available as it will be very close to the rim and a little larger than the ET standard room.

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
6,098 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road conditions from LV to GCNP South Rim in December

Have you actually called to see what's available or are you just looking at the rooms on their web site. You should give them a call and see what you can get, if you haven't. Don't give up if the web site says they're fully booked. Calling might still get you a room.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road conditions from LV to GCNP South Rim in December

Thanks for all the advice. How do I know which direction the room is facing since the information provided in the booking website seemed to be limited? As I am currently outside US, calling the respective places is quite difficult.

7. Re: Road conditions from LV to GCNP South Rim in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, December 14, 2013