We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary advice much needed for April 06 trip

Level Contributor
123 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary advice much needed for April 06 trip

I stumbled across the tripadvisor site while planning this trip and have found all your info so useful. Could you look over these sketchy plans and let me know if it sounds reasonable? Thank you sooo much!

Flying into Tucson April 9 and spending a few days with grandma who lives there. Taking grandma, husband, me, two kids ages 7 and 10 and heading north on the 12th. Figuring it might look like this:

Day 1: drive to Phoenix to see brother-in-law

Day 2: drive to Flagstaff see Montezuma Castle NM and Tusayan, sleep Flagstaff

Day 3and4: sleep in Flagstaff and visit surrounding area (such as Cameron, Watchtower, Little Colorado River Gorge, IMAX and Bright Angel Trail hike...?)

Day 5-6:(Easter Sunday and Monday - a problem?) see Wupatki, Sunset Crater, Walnut Canyon and sleep in Flagstaff

Day 7: drive to Sedona by way of Oak Creek Canyon, hike, Pink Jeep tour, sleep in Sedona

Day 8: drive from Sedona to Phoenix visiting Tuzigoot and Jerome along the way; take mine tour in Jerome and in afternoon do Verde Canyon RR in Clarkdale

Day 8: head back from Jerome to Phoenix by way of Tuzigoot NM and Prescott (seems I have Tuzigoot in here twice!)

Day 9: get back to Tucson

Day 10: We fly out of Tucson on the 21st.

I've used lots of previous posts with Tony's itinerary advice to try to figure this all out. I need to start making reservations so am hoping some of you will let me know if this sounds at all doable.

Thank you!

MD
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary advice much needed for April 06 trip

this is a lovely itinerary and you are going to see alot.

kudos to you for doing the research.

the only comment would be to suggest lodging at the gc for that area of the trip.

you should try to stay one night at the gc or nearby tusayan, as the drive from flagstaff to gc is 1hr, 40 mins...each way. it would be worthwhile to see a sunrise and sunset without facing the drive. plus, if you overnighted it would give you the option to exit the park via the east and see the watchtower, cameron, and wupatki on the loop back to flagstaff.

hope this helps.