We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Sedona to Grand Canyon

New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Sedona to Grand Canyon

Hi,

I will be staying in Sedona, and plan to drive to the GC for the day. I want to stop at some of the sites along the way, like the ruins, Meteor crator, Petrified forst etc. I have two questions though.

1. Should I stop at those sites on the way TO the GC, or on the way BACK to Sedona? (from what I read, it seems like it affects the way I would enter the GC, so I'm not sure what to do).

2. Also, what sites would you suggest stopping to see? I've been reading what everyone has been posting on the site, but I'm still not 100% sure how to plan the drive.

Thank you in advance, this site is amazing!!

Lauren

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,147 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Sedona to Grand Canyon

Meteor Crater and Petrified forest are not on the way to the GCNP from Sedona. They would be a side trip that would require the better part of a day to see. The ruins at Wupatki and the geological site at Sunset Crater is a side trip that you can conveniently do on the way to or from the east gate at the GCNP. However, it's a detour that will also add about 2 hours to your day. If you are only planning on a singkle day at the GCNP and a return to Sedona that same day, I would dedicate the full day to the Grand Canyon. The drive from Sedona without detours or stops will take about 2 hours each way. That leaves you about 4-6 hours in a full day to tour the GCNP. I'd use it all that way. The side trips and detours that you read about are generally recommended as a compliment to a stay at the park that includes an overnight or longer.

If you wantto do those other sites, they are worth your time, but I'd plan to do them on a different day than your GCNP day trip.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,411 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Sedona to Grand Canyon

If you only have one day, skip Petrified Forest and Meteor Crater. Go to GCNP and concentrate on that. Then if you have time, leave by the east entrance of GCNP and stop at Wupatki Natl Mon on the way back. One day is minimal athe canyon.

New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Sedona to Grand Canyon

Hi,

Thank you both for your responces. If anything, I'll just check out the ruins on the way home I guess. Are there any other stops along the way to break up the drive? I just thought it was doable because the tours I've looked into offer stops at those sites.

Thanks again,

Lauren

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Sedona to Grand Canyon

The drive to or from Sedona and the GC is only 2 hours. Not a whole lot to break up. Stay at the canyon as long as possible. Besides, hours for Wupatki and Sunset Crater are 8am to 5pm. I believe the park is still open after 5, but you won't be able to get any information on what you are seeing. So if it works out and you want to swing through there on your way back to Sedona, fine, but I'd stay at one of the seven wonders of the world as long as I could.

New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Sedona to Grand Canyon

Hi,

I think I will go to the Wupatki Ruins/Sunset Crator on the way back to Sedona from the GC (this way if I change my mind, i can always stay longer at the GC). But how far is it from the Grand Canyon? When I tried to mapquest it, it said the drive to Wupatki Nationam Monument is over 2 hours, and that it's 2 hours away from Sedona - is that correct? Any help would be great.

Thanks again,

-Lauren

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,147 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Sedona to Grand Canyon

The north entrance to Wupatki off 89 is about 45 minutes from the east gate of the GCNP. You will need a minimum of an hour to drive through Wupatki/Sunset Crater without stops. When you get back on 89 at the south entrance you'll be about 20 minutes from Flagstaff or 1 1/4 hours from Sedona.

So if you leave the GCNP via the east gate, you're just over 2 hours from Sedona. If you add Wupatki/Sunset Crater the time becomes about 3-4 hours to Sedona.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,147 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Sedona to Grand Canyon

The north entrance to Wupatki off 89 is about 45 minutes from the east gate of the GCNP. You will need a minimum of an hour to drive through Wupatki/Sunset Crater without stops. When you get back on 89 at the south entrance you'll be about 20 minutes from Flagstaff or 1 1/4 hours from Sedona.

So if you leave the GCNP via the east gate, you're just over 2 hours from Sedona. If you add Wupatki/Sunset Crater the time becomes about 3-4 hours to Sedona.

New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from Sedona to Grand Canyon

hmmm, ok. I think it makes more sense to stop there on the way TO the GC (because I read that I need to get to Wupatki before 5pm). So, I guess I'll leave Sedona early in the morning (around 8am?), stop at Wupatki and Sunset Crator for about 2 hours, and then head to the East (?) entrance of GC. Spend about 4-5 hours there (so i leave with enough time before nightfall) and then head back to Sedona. Does that sound like a realistic plan?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,147 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from Sedona to Grand Canyon

Yes, the plan is realistic, but I'll go back to my original reply to your post.

If you only have one day to spend at the Grand Canyon NP, I would devote all of that day to the GC and not try to add in any side trips. Save the ruins and other attractions for a different day. The Grand Canyon NP is big enough and and has more than you can imagine to occupy your day. Get there as quickly as you can and spend as much time as you can allow. There is nothing on the way up or back that is more deserving of your time than the Grand Canyon itself.

New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive from Sedona to Grand Canyon

Ok,thank you SO much for your help. I'll talk it over with the person I'm traveling with, and see what we decide.