We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants and Parking in GC

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants and Parking in GC

I will be staying in the grand hotel, any restaurant above the one from teh hotel and for the parking, when we arrive to the Park where we park.

And what is South and North and all that. Where will be my hotel

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,360 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants and Parking in GC

Your hotel will be about 5 miles from the park entrance. When you enter the park you will receive maps and advice on how best to tour the entire park. You will be at the GCNP South Rim. Nothing about the North Rim will apply to you on this trip. You'll park where and when you need to, and you will have access to the park shuttle buses. Plenty of restaurant options inside and outside the park. All basic fast/road food. Nothing fancy.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants and Parking in GC

So I enter to the park in my car and there will be parking or I need to park it at my hotel and take the shuttle? Where I take the Shuttle?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,360 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants and Parking in GC

You'll have to use your car to get to the park. The first place you'll get to is Mather Point and the Park Visitor Center. Don't worry, you'll see plenty of cars. The challenge will be finding a parking spot. You can then learn all you'll need to know at the visitor center and you can catch shuttles from there or get back in your car and drive someplace else to park again. This is why you should keep trying to find a place to stay inside the park.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants and Parking in GC

Oh I get it, thanks.

And all restaurants are good, any recomendation

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,360 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants and Parking in GC

All restaurants are mediocre. I recommend El Tovar for history and charm.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,148 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants and Parking in GC

What time of year are you going to GC? The options for transportation are different at different times of year.

In the park, all year shuttle buses operate in the central area called Grand Canyon Village, which includes the Marketplace, the Visitors Center and the lodges. Another shuttle route operates March through November along the west rim to overlooks there; December through February you can drive there yourself as no shuttles operate on the west rim. To visit the east rim, you need to drive your own car or take a tour bus (not free).

During 2008, the park service also had a shuttle from the town of Tusayan into the park, but their web site does not say whether that will continue in 2009. Your hotel will know. Also during 2008 they operated a shuttle along the east rim however that was to be moved back to the west rim after road repairs.

See the park web site. There are maps there that will help you understand all this information.

The restaurants in the park vary from sandwiches to cafeteria (buffet) to true restaurants. Dinner in the restaurant at the El Tovar Lodge requires a reservation or a long wait; the restaurant at Bright Angel Lodge is first-come first-served with a wait list. The quality of the food is quite good for all varieties; it is all "gringo food" however. Most of the dining options are located in the GC Village area. There are snacks available at Hermits Rest at the far end of the west rim, and at Desert View at the far end of the east rim. In Tusayan there are various restaurants in hotels and others including pizza and fast food. Don't expect anything spectacular. In my opinion the restaurant in El Tovar and the Arizona Room at Bright Angel Lodge are the best in the area, but many people disagree.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants and Parking in GC

Im going in the first week of April.

HOWS THE WEATHER

Oh so I will reserve in El Tovar, but with how many days I need to do the reservation

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,360 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants and Parking in GC

The weather can be anything from 70s in the day time to snow and blizzard conditions. Be prepared. Expect below freezing temps overnight. Reservations at El Tovar or any of the park lodges should be made immediately. April is a very busy time at the GCNP.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants and Parking in GC

You must also make a reservation for dinner in the El Tovar dinning room. This is the only place you will need to make a dinner reservation. Breakfast and Lunch won't require a reservation in El Tovar.

Try to eat at least one meal there. The atmosphere is really nice!

SJG

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants and Parking in GC

As mentioned none of the food is spectacular, but the El Tovar is our preferred dining when we are up at the canyon.

Parking in the village area will be very limited in April.