We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking In at El Tovar

West Sussex
Level Contributor
96 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Checking In at El Tovar

This may seem a strange question, but can anyone suggest what is the 'best' time to check in to El Tovar? We have reservations at the end of October, and are driving from Monument Valley. I'm trying to work out whether we should do our Monument Valley tour that morning, & then drive to the Grand Canyon. If we do that, then I don't anticipate arriving at El Tovar until fairly late afternoon - 4.30 - 5 ish. Is that schedule going to cause me any problems with parking/checking in ? We have 'Standard 2 Queen' rooms booked, & I don't want to end up with the worst rooms in the hotel (though I don't think I booked the lowest price rooms).

We have the 2 following days to see the GCNP after that, so I'm not that worried about trying to see loads as soon as we arrive.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,528 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checking In at El Tovar

You will not be allowed to check in before 4PM. I suggest that you not try to check in right at 4 since so many people crowd the desk at that time. If you arrive at 4:30-5ish you will be just fine. I would expect that your room will have been pre assigned. Don't worry about the room that you get. Be thankful that you have a reservation at the El Tovar.

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Checking In at El Tovar

Redrox said: Be thankful that you have a reservation at the El Tovar.

He's right. Don't worry too much about your check in time, or parking. You will figure it out once you get there. None of the rooms really have a canyon view. And all of the hotel rooms are relatively equal. The hotel was aligned "uniquely".

Some of the suites are better than others, but again, all of the hotel rooms are relatively equal. Enjoy the hotel for its history, not for it's views.

The views and experiences of Grand Canyon will present themselves outside the hotel.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,851 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checking In at El Tovar

As everyone else here has said, the fact that you're at the El Tovar is the important thing. The room you get isn't. The standard room with 2 queens isn't very big, but then again you get people willing to pay $1 million for a broom closet at El Tovar :)

As to check-in time, it is officially at 4:00 PM. You can take care of the paperwork part of things earlier if you want, but they won't give you your keys until 4:00, and that's when the desk predictably gets mobbed. So... arriving around 5:00 PM should be that bad.

If you can't find parking at the hotel, try down by the train tracks and walk back to the hotel or take the free shuttle.

Florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checking In at El Tovar

A little over a week ago, we stayed at Kachina Lodge, adjacent to El Tovar. Kachina requires check-in at the El Tovar desk. When we arrived around 5PM, there was no one else at the counter but us. We parked easily most of the time at Kachina, but we didn't move the car often, mostly catching the shuttle. You have to go down a bunch of steps to catch the El Tovar shuttle. The bus always seemed to pull off about time we got half way down. No worry, though, another one comes quickly.

Enjoy your visit!

5. Re: Checking In at El Tovar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, October 10, 2009