We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon April 4-7

Atlanta
1 post
Save Topic
Grand Canyon April 4-7

My family (3 kids ages 8-13) are visiting the park. I have reservations at Maswik Lodge. Is this good hotel for $120/n? Hard to find hotels for 5. This will probably be our only trip while my kids are kids. Looking for best thing without applying for a 2nd home mortgage.

Looking for ideas things to do. I'm considering an evening horseback ride on one day and a smooth water raft trip on another. What recommendations are out there for the budget minded family in early April?

We get into Las Vegas late on April 3 and are looking at going as far as Hoover Dam area to tour it the next day before drive to Grand Canyon. Suggestions on hotel (for 5) here??

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon April 4-7

Hello

Might I suggest you head north from Las Vegas on I-15 and turn off at junc.75 for Valley of Fire SP, the whole family should enjoy this, see if you can find Mouse's Tank. Then head south towards the Hoover Dam area. I'm not sure, but I believe you are no longer able to tour the dam. Perhaps someone else has up to date information on that.

I can't help you with hotels as I have never travelled with more than two and have always used Motel 6 etc.

There is plenty to see in the Grand Canyon area, particularly around Flagstaff.

There is Wupatki NM, Sunset Crater Volcano NM, Walnut Canyon NM and the Meteor Crater. There should be plenty to keep the whole family amused there.

If you buy a NP Passport ($50) when you enter Grand Canyon NP you will not have to pay to enter any other NP or NM. Which will save you a lot of money (no 2nd mortgage!) as I believe it costs $20 to enter Grand Canyon NP alone.

Enjoy the Grand Canyon and be prepared to be seriously awestruck.

Tony