We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get our equipment out West

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How to get our equipment out West

Help, we need some suggestions on getting our backpacking equipment from the East coast out to the North Rim. We've had a suggestion to ship our equipment out a head of time to a hotel that we will be staying at, but I'm not sure this is the best way to go.

We're flying into LasVegas airport and staying the night in Vegas and then driving to the North Rim over a two day period. We won't start our decent until later in the week. I just feel that our stuff should stay with us!!

Anyone that has a suggestion or has done this before, please give us a hint!!!

Thanks

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,572 reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
45-minute Helicopter Flight Over the...
503 reviews
from $276.99*
$299.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
571 reviews
from $369.99*
$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from $499.99*
$541.00
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
331 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get our equipment out West

Did you check with your airline and see what you can bring with you? We have three people, and we are able to bring 2 bags each, so we are going to fit all of our backpacking stuff into these 6 bags.

Los Angeles
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get our equipment out West

I once shipped my loaded backpack by U.S. mail from Aspen, Colorado to Austin, Texas, with no problem. As I recall, all I had to do was attach an address tag to the thing. About the same as you do with the GC permit.

What's your hike itinerary? If it's Thunder River/Deer Creek you're in for an astounding experience. I've done it several times and would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the Tapeats Creek/Deer Creek area. Don't ask me about corridor trails - I avoid those superhighways like the plague. There are also the nasty pack stock to contend with on those monsters. Ugh!!!