We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Grand Canyon w/parents - what should we do?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Grand Canyon w/parents - what should we do?

My parents and I plan to spend ~3-4 days at the Grand Canyon in June. What should we do?

My parents are in their mid to late 50s and in average physical shape. Gentle hiking for ~3 hours would be about as much as they could comfortably do. This is our first time to the Grand Canyon, and I would *love* any suggestions you have about:

- Itinerary (hiking? white water rafting? helicopter tours? driving around?)

- Places to stay (budget is less of an issue than comfort ... my parents are 'city' people from Hong Kong)

- Best way to get there from Las Vegas

- Best way to get around within Grand Canyon

Thank you so much! I would be so grateful for suggestions!

GA
Level Contributor
557 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Grand Canyon w/parents - what should we do?

Do you want to stay at the Caynon or in town Quality Inn,In Tuscan is a nice hotel.Since you are spending 3-4 days ans parents cant hike more than 3 hrs I would take helicopter tour.I would spend 2 days and spend 2 days in sedona

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,132 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Grand Canyon w/parents - what should we do?

Goofy has it almost right.

Lodging choices at the GCNP are basically inside the park or outside in the town of Tusayan. Park lodges are considered better due to the convenience of their location. Chain hotels in Tusayan tend to be less expensive. There are no luxury hotels or accomodations near the GCNP. Expect basic and rustic.

You might find that 2 days at GCNP is sufficient to get a good taste of waht it is all about. Hiking down into the canyon itself is not recommended unless you are experienced hikers and in good physical condition. You can hike along the rim trails and enjoy almost 40 miles of rim viewing areas.

You might want to take Goofy's advice and add a couple of days in Sedona. The scenery there is entirely different yet very dramatic and you can find a wider range of accomodations including luxury spas.

If you're coming from Las Vegas, the best thing to do is rent a car and drive yourself. It's about a 5 hour drive from LV to GCNP. Sedona is 2 hours to the south and will require the same 5 hours to return to LV.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,638 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Grand Canyon w/parents - what should we do?

- Best way to get around within Grand Canyon: once you are in the park, park your car. There are free shuttles in the central GC Village area and on the west rim to take you to viewpoints. You can explore the east rim by car, or take a tour bus operated by the lodging concessionaire.

If you are staying in the park, just hop on the shuttles. You may want to first visit the Canyon View Information Plaza.

If you are staying outside the park, head for the Market Plaza and find a parking place for the day, then take a shuttle bus to the Canyon View Information Plaza. The parking areas at the major viewpoints are not intended for long-term parking, so observe the signs about length of time for parking.

There are shops and other sites to explore to mix in with viewing the canyon. Get on the nps.gov/grca web site, get familiar with what's available, and view the maps.

I think Goofy's and RedRox's suggestions of spending some of your time in Sedona is good. Two days at GCNP is sufficient to see the canyon, so you may want to spend 2 nights there, then go to Sedona.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,190 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Grand Canyon w/parents - what should we do?

If you are set on staying at the Grand Canyon for 3 days... you can also visit Flagstaff and the National Monuments near there. Wupatki and Sunset Crater Nat Mon and maybe visit Cameron Trading post and try a Navajo Taco!!

Flagstaff has some interesting things to see including a nice museums, shopping and observatory.

You may want to wander a ways down the Bright Angel Trail, even a few hundred feet! Take your time and at most you could hike to the 1.5 mile resthouse. Take water. Just for your folks to say they hiked into the GC when they get home to Hong Kong!

If you can get lodging inside the park... stay at Kachina or Thunderbird Lodge or El Tovar. Also nice lodging in Flagstaff and Sedona if you choose to go to either of those towns.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,190 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Grand Canyon w/parents - what should we do?

If you are set on staying at the Grand Canyon for 3 days... you can also visit Flagstaff and the National Monuments near there. Wupatki and Sunset Crater Nat Mon and maybe visit Cameron Trading post and try a Navajo Taco!!

Flagstaff has some interesting things to see including a nice museums, shopping and observatory.

You may want to wander a ways down the Bright Angel Trail, even a few hundred feet! Take your time and at most you could hike to the 1.5 mile resthouse. Take water. Just for your folks to say they hiked into the GC when they get home to Hong Kong!

If you can get lodging inside the park... stay at Kachina or Thunderbird Lodge or El Tovar. Also nice lodging in Flagstaff and Sedona if you choose to go to either of those towns.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,190 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Grand Canyon w/parents - what should we do?

Yikes... sorry about double post... my computer has been wacky lately! Sorry again;

7. Re: 3 days in Grand Canyon w/parents - what should we do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, September 22, 2009