We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Rim Campground to North Kaibab Trailhead

Deer Park, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
North Rim Campground to North Kaibab Trailhead

Me and my husband are planning a rim to rim hike starting at North Rim in late Sep. or early Oct.. We want to start at the North Rim by spending the night at the North Rim campground then proceeding to the trailhead in the morning to start our hike down. How far is the trail head from the North Rim campground? Is is a long walk or do you need to get some kind of shuttle to get to the trailhead? I don't mind walking about a mile or so but don't want to burn up alot of time and energy that I will need for the hike down. Also are there showers available at the North Rim campground? Would like to start off clean as we won't be showering till we reach the South Rim.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,572 reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
45-minute Helicopter Flight Over the...
503 reviews
from $276.99*
$299.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
571 reviews
from $369.99*
$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from $499.99*
$541.00
washington, missouri
Level Contributor
319 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Rim Campground to North Kaibab Trailhead

I would say the trailhead from the North Rim campground is less than two miles away. Check out this site, it has information about the North Rim campground:

www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/cg-nr.htm

You say you are doing a rim to rim hike. Are you planning on doing this in one day? If not hopefully you have either a reservation at Phantom Ranch or a backcountry permit which allows you to camp below the rim.

I know a rim to rim in one day is possible but at that time of year the days are shorter. There is a shuttle leaving from the lodge which will take you to the North Kaibab trailhead for a few dollars.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Rim Campground to North Kaibab Trailhead

There are showers at the North Rim campground. I believe they are pay showers...like maybe .25 per 5 minutes! It just didn't matter to us how much they cost. After spending three days below the rim it was worth every quarter I put in there!!!!

I agree that it's approx a 2 mile walk from the campground to the trailhead. You might want to talk to the driver of the Trans Canyon Shuttle and see if they would pick you up at the campground and drop you off at the trailhead for a small fee. I seem to remember doing this for a couple when we took the shuttle over to the South Rim. Heads up though, the shuttle leaves the lodge at 7:00am sharp!!!

Enjoy

SJG

Deer Park, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Rim Campground to North Kaibab Trailhead

Thanks redsledtoo and southjerseygirl. Yes, I have been hiking and camping below the rim before just not rim to rim, so am aware of time involved and getting a backcountry permit.

The Sunshine State
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Rim Campground to North Kaibab Trailhead

There is a shuttle (that requires reservations) that leaves from the Grand Canyon Lodge to the North Kaibab trailhead. It costs approximately $7 for the first person in your party and $4 for each person thereafter. As I recall, there are two morning departures...the one I remember (at least in May) is at 5:30pm. Again, you need reservations for this which can be made through Xandera.

California
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: North Rim Campground to North Kaibab Trailhead

Is that reservation made through Xanterra even now that they do not operate the Lodge at the North Rim?

Deer Park, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Rim Campground to North Kaibab Trailhead

canyonmari, I read on the nps.gov site pertaining to North Rim area that these hiker shuttle tickets to the North Kaibab Trail can be reserved and purchased at the front desk at the Grand Canyon Lodge and have to be reserved 24 hours in advance. Shuttle picks up in front of the Lodge and has two morning pick up times.

Also can anyone tell me how close (or far) is the North Rim campground to the Grand Canyon Lodge?

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Rim Campground to North Kaibab Trailhead

The North Rim campground is approx 1 mile from the lodge. Not to bad of a "walk"!!

SJG

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
163 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Rim Campground to North Kaibab Trailhead

FloridaAdGuy, you mean 5:30 AM I think. There's no evening shuttle to/from the trailhead.

If you're walking to the Lodge from the Campground, you're actually going in the opposite direction from the trailhead. Just going from memory, I don't recall it being much of a walk between the Lodge and the TH, and it's all fairly flat. Your call though - if you're hiking the 14 miles to the bottom on day one then you probably don't want to add any extra mileage no matter how easy.

The Sunshine State
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Rim Campground to North Kaibab Trailhead

LOL...of course you're correct...AM not PM...what a difference one letter makes!!!

Deer Park, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Rim Campground to North Kaibab Trailhead

Thanks Mesanan, something to consider.