We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maswik Or Yavapai Lodge?

Chicago
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Maswik Or Yavapai Lodge?

Just wondering which one of these lodges are better...Maswik or Yavapai? We are staying at one of these lodges for 1 night, as part of a Grand Canyon overnight tour from Las Vegas.

The Maswik looks more modern, but are they pretty much both the same? Can't tell by the reviews I've read. I know they are both near the Canyon's rim, but which is nicer?

Thanks so much...any imput would be appreciated!

-Jen

Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
883 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maswik Or Yavapai Lodge?

Hi

We just came back from staying two nights at Yavapai East. It was just great.

We drove past Maswik and it looked absolutely fine, but my feelings are this - Maswik is certainly nearer the rim and is just behind Bright Angel and El Tovar. The rim is just a few minutes walk. But my personal opinion is that the setting may not be as peaceful as Yavapai. Hopefully someone else can advise you.

Yavapai lodges are set in woodlands. It felt really good to wake up in the morning and see deer grazing right outside your bedroom window. The walk to the rim is a few minutes further from Yavapai but we didn't feel this was a problem. Also, there is a great cafeteria, the post office, the visitor centre and a well stocked store (food, souvenirs, clothing etc) just in the Market Square next to Yavapai check in, and the village shuttle bus goes between all the lodges and El Tovar every 15 minutes.

The rooms were clean, bright and spacious, the beds were very comfortable, there was a coffee maker and good hairdryer in the room, and lots of hot water for a bath or shower after a busy day. I am sure that the standard will be the same in all the lodges because they are all run by the same company.

If you chose Yavapai - ask for a second floor room - a tip I pcked up from Tripadvisor!! Good luck and enjoy!

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
67 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maswik Or Yavapai Lodge?

Hi Jen

We stayed at Yavapai a couple of years ago and really liked it. Clean, spacious rooms at a very reasonable rate. Can't tell you about Maswik as we never stayed there.

We'll be visiting GC in less than two months and have booked a room at Yavapai again.

Yes it's a bit further from the rim, but that makes it more interesting IMO. You're not in the middle of the crowds (and it can be extremely busy!) but still close enough to be at the rim in a short walk.

If you plan to go in the summer time, I would suggest Yavapai East, as the rooms have AC.

Whatever you decide, you'll definitely enjoy the canyon!

Have fun...

phoenix arizona
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maswik Or Yavapai Lodge?

I used to work at Grand Canyon and the Maswik rooms are nicer. However, I hear they have refurbished Yavapai East, so they are probably better now. Maswik rooms are kind of in the woods too. But a little bit closer to civilization. If you book Maswik, try and get Maswik North. They are nicer then Maswik South. They are also within walking distance to the rim (10 minute walk). Yavapai is not as close to the rim (20 minute walk). However, Maswik does not have AC. Temperatures rarely get over 85 degrees, so you usually don't need AC.

Your decision will just depend on your priorities. AC or closer to rim. I'd choose Maswik North. If there's only Maswik South or Yavapai East, I'd choose Yavapai.