We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maswick Lodge or Yavapai

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
52 reviews
27 helpful votes
Maswick Lodge or Yavapai

Hi, I'm looking at hotel options for hiking in the Grand Canyon in September and these hotels are the only ones with availability left, which would you recommend? I'm hoping to catch the sunset the evening before and then do a sunrise hike the next morning. I'm travelling solo.

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Maswick Lodge or Yavapai

Either lodging would be fine, Maswick is closer to the Rim Trail in the village area good place to see dawn and the sunrise, Yavapai is closer to Mather Point and Yavapai Point both good for sunset.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
37 reviews
53 helpful votes
2. Re: Maswick Lodge or Yavapai

Take whichever one you can get. Maswick is about 1/4 mile from the rim in the Historic Village area. Yavapai is 1/2 mile plus from the rim near the Market Place/Visitor Centre. That said, I find it easier to walk to/from Maswick to the rim in the dark/twilight than to/from Yavapai.

Are you planning a sunrise hike the next morning below the rim or along the Rim Trail? If you want to go below rim, may I suggest the South Kaibab Trail and time it so that you are at Ooh Aah Point (3/4 mile down trail) for sunrise. You'll have to take the orange shuttle from the Visitor Centre to the trailhead. If you are staying at Maswick, you'll have to take the blue shuttle from Maswick to the Visitor Centre and then connect. Or catch the 5 am Hikers Express from the Backcountry Office (right next door to Maswick). It'll take you directly to the SK trailhead.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,141 posts
26 reviews
13 helpful votes
3. Re: Maswick Lodge or Yavapai

Whichever you choose, don't delay. Make your reservation right now.

Wootton, United...
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
6 reviews
17 helpful votes
4. Re: Maswick Lodge or Yavapai

As a solo traveller also and having stayed 7 times in Tusayan before converting to staying inside the Park, i only ever stay at Yavapai (East).

Can't comment on Maswik. But Yavapai for the past 3 x visits, i park outside my door with no parking issues. See wildlife from my door and windows and generally around. Easily accessible to the Village market for all your needs. Tavern and lodge for your food and drink and wifi access. Good access to the rim. Walkable if you want.

Will be staying again this year. Doubt i'll even look elsewhere.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
159 reviews
111 helpful votes
5. Re: Maswick Lodge or Yavapai

In terms of proximity to the rim, Maswik wins out over Yavapai (1/4 mile vs. 1 mile), but Yavapai may be more competitively priced than Maswik, especially now that Maswik South is being "rebooted." But as bellman3 wisely states, don't delay too long making reservations. In the time it takes to quibble over what's best, space at BOTH hotels could get taken. Trust me on that, I used to work in that reservations office!

Edited: 12:37 pm, June 19, 2019
Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
70,850 posts
249 reviews
249 helpful votes
6. Re: Maswick Lodge or Yavapai

Maswick always sells out before Yavapai. For your purposes, either will work just fine.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
11,362 posts
14 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Maswick Lodge or Yavapai

Keep in mind that there will be construction going on at Maswik if that makes a difference to you!

SJG

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
52 reviews
27 helpful votes
8. Re: Maswick Lodge or Yavapai

Thanks so much for your help and advice, I've gone ahead and booked Yavapai, really looking forward to it!

Jane your advice on buses for the south kaibab trail is much appreciated, that's the trail I was planning going for on the sunrise hike. Is this one that's safe to do solo or should I go with an organised tour?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
37 reviews
53 helpful votes
9. Re: Maswick Lodge or Yavapai

It's perfectly safe to go solo. I always hike solo and I've never encountered a problem, or felt unsafe. It's a great trail for sunrise, and if you get to Ooh Aah in time, you'll see O'Neill Butte lit up by the rising sun and the rest of the Canyon is still in darkness--one of my favourite sights. You might also get lucky and encounter the pack mule train on its way to the bottom. In that case, make sure you stand on the inside of the trail to let the train pass.

Catch the orange shuttle from the Visitor Centre and try to be at the trailhead for twilight, about 1/2 hour before actual sunrise. You might need a headlamp for a few minutes, but it'll quickly be light enough to see.

Remember, there is no water on the SK below the trailhead, so take enough fluids to last you until you return to the rim. FWIW, there is a pit toilet at Cedar Ridge, 1.5 miles down.

However, should you prefer to join a tour, there is a daily Ranger led hike from the SK trailhead to Cedar Ridge that leaves the trailhead at 7 am, i.e. well past sunrise. https:/…sr-programs.htm In that case, you might want to take the orange shuttle to Yaki Point for sunrise (the stop just beyond the SK trailhead), and then walk to the trailhead in time for the 7 o'clock hike departure.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
52 reviews
27 helpful votes
10. Re: Maswick Lodge or Yavapai

That sounds amazing!!! I'd love to watch the sunrise so I'm going to go for it and hike solo, thanks so much for your help with this, really looking forward to the trip!

Reply to: Maswick Lodge or Yavapai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted