We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon-South Rim

Auburn, Washington
Level Contributor
356 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon-South Rim

Hey everyone! I will be with my family in a 25ft RV with a year old puppy in the Grand Canyon on September 14-15. We booked an overnight RV spot about a mile south of the Park. Is there parking at the South Rim for RV's that are around 25ft and also is there little short hikes I can do? I don't know if I will can canyoned out by the time I get there since we will be in Bryce, Arches and Canyonlands. I am not a avid hiker whatsoever so I can't not do the long hikes that they have in the brochure. Just wondering if there is enough to do at the south rim to keep us entertained for a full day. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Canyon South Rim
Grand Canyon South Rim
20,776 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
4 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
18,633 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon-South Rim

Ha e you familiarized yourself with pet restrictions at all the national parks you will be visiting? Best do that before you leave so you know what to expect. The pet policies can be found on each part website.

Auburn, Washington
Level Contributor
356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon-South Rim

Thank you Connie B!! My mother will be with out dog while my dad and I look around.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,865 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon-South Rim

Plan your walks along the rim path between GC Village and Yavapai Observation Point. Use the shuttle to tour west to Hermit Rest. (No dogs) tour the east road to Desert View in your RV. That’s the way you’ll arrive at the Grand Canyon National Park from UT.

I hope you’ll have used at least 10 days in UT. You’ll still be awed by the GC and the Southwest. But you will be tired.

Mentioned in this post
Yavapai Lodge
Yavapai Lodge
3,038 Reviews
Hermit's Rest
Hermit's Rest
418 Reviews
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
982 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon-South Rim

Have a look at the parking map on this link: https:/…parking_sr.htm The two maps show very clearly where you can park RVs and helpfully also identify where you cannot park with an RV.

i.e. # 1 at the Visitor Centre, or B and D at the Market Plaza and Historic Village are suitable, generally speaking. Lot D at the Backcountry Information Centre is huge, but a bit of a walk to the rim. Lot B was impacted by the ongoing Construction when I was there a short while ago and parking was severely restricted. #1 at the Visitor Centre would be your best bet for proximity to the rim, but you should get there early.

The Rim Trail is ideally suited for short walks with fantastic views. Aside from the stunning natural wonder there are also the Yavapai Geology Museum that might interest you, as well as some historic buildings, e.g. Hopi House, Lookout Studio, Kolb Studio.

Oh, here's the Grand Canyon's pet policy: https:/…pets.htm

Enjoy your visit.

Mentioned in this post
Rim Trail
Rim Trail
1,276 Reviews
Yavapai Lodge
Yavapai Lodge
3,038 Reviews
Hopi House