We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations at Grand Canyon

Rensselaer, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Accommodations at Grand Canyon

If we're not lucky enough to get lodging within the GC lodges for our September trip where should we book? I'm hoping something will become available then we can cancel any reservations we have.

Thanks!!

15 replies to this topic
Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
1. Re: Accommodations at Grand Canyon

Look at the town of Tusayan at the south entrance to GC. See Trip Advisor for hotel reviews, and book on the individual hotel websites. Be sure it is cancellable with a refund. Keep trying in park lodges, especially Yavapai as it’s run by DNC, rather than Xanterra. It is the last to book up since many fail to check it.

See www.visitgrandcanyon.com for Yavapai.

Edited: 8:56 am, June 13, 2018
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
34 posts
2. Re: Accommodations at Grand Canyon

With persistent checking, you will find lodging within the park. If you're staying multiple nights, try by checking for individual nights (don't let it be an all-or-nothing approach) and build your complete stay as you consistently check for the other nights. This has always worked for me.

Edited: 8:58 am, June 13, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Accommodations at Grand Canyon

I agree that with persistent checking, you should be able to find something within the park. Here's the NPS website for all lodging options: https:/…lodging.htm

Check the links for Xanterra for 5 of of the 6 in-park lodges, and Delaware North for Yavapai. Check there directly, and book there directly, not through a third party.

Further down, the page also lists options in nearby Tusayan, as well as lodging options further away. Any of those might be of consideration, depending where you are coming from/going to.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Accommodations at Grand Canyon

Picking up a last minute room inside the park is far superior to Tusayan. Book a Tusayan room now and cancel it when you find a GC option later.

Rensselaer, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Accommodations at Grand Canyon

Thank you!

Northern Mississippi
Level Contributor
24 posts
112 reviews
6. Re: Accommodations at Grand Canyon

Last minute rooms inside the park are really a thing? Sounds like I'll be checking daily, because I don't mind canceling the ridiculously priced Best Western.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
37 reviews
7. Re: Accommodations at Grand Canyon

@MBAmom,

Both Xanterra and Delaware North have a generous cancellation policy...you can cancel up to 2 days prior arrival without penalty. The rooms can be booked a year in advance and fill up fast, which is why some people cancel as plans change as you get closer to a date. Use the link provided above to book directly with either one of them.

I've been known to leave the reservation pages for both Xanterra and Delaware North open in a separate tab and checking literally dozens of times a day. You want to be there when a cancellation happens and then grab it up. Knock on wood, so far I've always been successful.

Northern Mississippi
Level Contributor
24 posts
112 reviews
8. Re: Accommodations at Grand Canyon

Two different options popped up available this morning, and I was able to book a 2 queen bed room at The Grand Hotel, which I realize isn't inside the park, but looks nicer than the Best Western. (I sure hope I read right and that The Grand Hotel is a South Rim hotel.). I had to pass on the available Maswik Lodge room, because it did not have air conditioning, and we can't do that in July.

I'll keep looking, though, in case something with air conditioning, inside the park, becomes available.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,333 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Accommodations at Grand Canyon

The Grand Hotel is not a South Rim Hotel. There are 4 lodges along the Rim Trail at the South Rim--El Tovar, Bright Angel, Kachina and Thunderbird. You state in your post you know it isn't in the park.

Sand Springs...
Level Contributor
37 posts
10. Re: Accommodations at Grand Canyon

I think they are meaning South Rim as opposed to North Rim. I don't think they mean on the rim in the park as opposed to not on the rim but still in the park.

They say they know it is not in the park but will continue to look for accommodations inside the park that have air conditioning (South Rim not North Rim). Apparently the only room available currently is in Maswik Lodge South which has no air conditioning and is scheduled to be torn down next year.

Reply to: Accommodations at Grand Canyon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted