We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary check: GC, Page, Zion, Bryce, Arches

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary check: GC, Page, Zion, Bryce, Arches

We have made most of our reservations with a bit of flexibility and would like some opinions before we finalize things. We will be driving from the SF area of CA in May 2018. We are a couple in our 60s, active hikers, and will have bikes with us. Traveling in a 24 ft. motorhome. Here is our plan as of now:

From SF area spend 2 nights in Nevada RV Parks on our way to Moab.

2 nights Moab, Canyonlands RV Park Resort

3 nights Arches, Devil's Garden Campground

1 night Torrey, Sand Creek Campground, visiting Capitol Reef

3 nights Bryce, Ruby's RV Campground

3 nights Zion, Watchman Campground

2 nights Page Waweap RV Campground

4 nights Grand Canyon, Mathers Campground. Plan to hike a lot (not to bottom, have done that twice already!

1 night Las Vegas (may see the Love show)

1 night Lone Pine, CA

4 nights Yosemite. Can't make those reservations until Jan. 15.

Would love advice on the length of time we are in each spot. We are retired and in no rush. We are fine relaxing in a nice spot reading all day as well as taking all day hikes. Love the idea of not being in a hurry but don't want to spent too much time if it is not necessary. We may be able to shift some reservations but not Arches, or Watchman. Any advice?

9 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,043 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary check: GC, Page, Zion, Bryce, Arches

A good relaxed pace. Normally I’d say 4 nights at Grand Canyon National Park is excessive, but you’ve been there before, so you know what to expect.

Consider adding several nights at Sedona. Hiking options there are superb

Bastrop, Texas
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary check: GC, Page, Zion, Bryce, Arches

I second the Sedona addition. We just spent 5 nights there last week and I wasn't ready to leave. Also, if you can, maybe add a day to Torrey so you get a full day there.

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary check: GC, Page, Zion, Bryce, Arches

Thank you both. We are now considering adding a night in Torrey, taking away a night in Bryce, taking away 1 night in the Grand Canyon, and adding 2 nights in Sedona. Have checked out Rancho Sedona for an RV Park since we have a motorhome. We might skip Las Vegas (really didn't want to go there anyway!) and add a night or two on the way to Yosemite from Sedona. Not sure we can add any more nights to Sedona but 2 is a good start. Thank you!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,043 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary check: GC, Page, Zion, Bryce, Arches

2 nights gives you one full day. It’s a taste. I’ll wager you’ll start planning a return trip to include 5-7 nights.

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary check: GC, Page, Zion, Bryce, Arches

Thanks. We may still be able to move things around as far as the Grand Canyon is concerned and what might come after Sedona. I can't make Yosemite reservations until Jan.15 so the only thing set on that end of the trip will soon be the Grand Canyon. I want to set that soon as I know good sites and dates will fill up. So perhaps we could swing 3 nights in Sedona...we shall see. Fell free to give me a few ideas for activities there.It was not on my radar and I haven't researched it much.

So Cal
Level Contributor
11,571 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary check: GC, Page, Zion, Bryce, Arches

May...you know you might not be able to enter Yosemite from the east, right? This year, Tioga Rd didn't open till June 29; last year, it was May 18. It all depends on the snowpack, so you'll need a plan b.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary check: GC, Page, Zion, Bryce, Arches

Nice, not rushed plan. I do like your updated plan even more in post #3. I absolutely love Bryce (my favorite national park so far) but think 2 nights is a pretty good length. I would trim the night as you suggest as well as the one from the Grand Canyon for an extra night in Torrey and the nights in Sedona.

We really enjoyed Torrey and Capital Reef. This part of our last trip ended up being much more enjoyable than we expected.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,222 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary check: GC, Page, Zion, Bryce, Arches

What are you guys planning to do in Page? If your activities are more lake-focused (boat tours and/or rentals, etc.), then Wahweap Campground is a good place to stay. If you're wanting to visit Antelope Canyon, you'll have to unhook, leave the campground, drive into Page or down to the canyon's entrance and get on a tour. You'll want to allow at least 20-30 minutes each way to get to town if you pick up a tour from there, longer if you take a tour from the Tribal Park entrance.

If all that sounds like a pain, you might consider staying at the Page/Lake Powell RV park, which is in a less photogenic part of town (the Industrial Park), but puts you just 5 miles from Antelope Canyon. antelopecanyon.az/camping-and-rv-options-nea…

Horseshoe Bend can be visited on your way to GCNP, just South of town.

Otherwise, trip sounds awesome, I'm jealous! LOL

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary check: GC, Page, Zion, Bryce, Arches

K-Bot: thanks for the suggestions. We will be doing water the activities while in Page and we like the idea of being so close to the water. We will be coming from Zion which is not that far away I think. So we may be able to schedule a mid day Antelope tour before setting up at Page and possibly a morning one the day we leave for the Grand Canyon. We do not really mind unhooking for a one day's outing. But if we can do Antelope on our way in and out that might make more sense.

JenAzz: We are aware of the Tioga Pass situation as far as the road opening depending on snow. We plan to stay in Needles or somewhere like that after Sedona and will find out if we can drive up 395 or if we have to go up 99. We can make that decision later as we are not stopping at any real popular campgrounds at that point. We will have an arrival day reservation for Monday, June 4, at Yosemite but will give ourselves a couple days to get there. Thanks.

Reply to: Itinerary check: GC, Page, Zion, Bryce, Arches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted