We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon help?

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon help?

We are planning a trip next May 2018 from the San Francisco area to Arches, Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and Yosemite. We can take 3+ weeks for this trip. We will be traveling in a 24 ft. motorhome. We are about to begin making our campground reservations for some of the very popular sites such as Devil's Garden in Arches, and Watchman in Zion. We specifically need help with the Utah and Arizona portion as we have not been there before. We are thinking: Arches 3 nights, Capitol Reef 1 night, Bryce 3 nights, Zion 3 nights, and the Grand Canyon 4 nights. Las Vegas will be a stop to see a show and refuel before heading home to CA and Yosemite.

Can any of you experts give us suggestions for the number of nights in each place, any other RV friendly campground or parks I should know about, or any other tips for this neck of the woods? We need to make the Arches reservations in the next few days. Also, Memorial Day weekend falls in the middle the trip...any park we should avoid during that busy time if possible? Thanks for your time and help.

8 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,132 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon help?

Will you be towing a vehicle, or touring everywhere in the motor home?

All of the parks, and the entire region, will be impacted by the Memorial Day Holiday. Expect heavy traffic.

Arches, as a park needs 2 nights. However, there’s much more to see and do at Moab. Enough to easily fill 3-4 days. That means 4-5 nights. I’d reduce the Grand Canyon National Park by 1-2 nights to find that time.

In your research, you’re going to realize that you’re missing Page AZ. You’ll need 2 nights there. Drop one from Bryce to gain part of that time.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon help?

Seconding RedRox's advice to modify your schedule so you can include Page, AZ. Lots of cool stuff to see and do there, like Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, Colorado River Float Trip, Lake Powell, just to name a few. Besides, you pretty much have to pass through there anyway between Zion and Grand Canyon (and I'm hoping that's the South Rim).

Another observation, too, is that most visitors find 1-2 nights tops to be sufficient for Bryce. So if you're looking for other time to shave off in order to accommodate Page, there's another place you might find it. Push comes to shove, you could even reduce your Grand Canyon stay to 1 night. Odd as that may sound, you'll end up doing a good chunk of your sightseeing on the drive from Page to Grand Canyon Village as that route will take you along the East Rim/Desert View Drive of the park.

As for Memorial Day, it is what it is, there's really no place to escape the "busyness" - not without 4WD, anyway. ;)

Here's a sample itinerary very close to what you're wanting to accomplish ->: https:/…

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon help?

Thank you both. I am so glad I asked this question. We had not even thought about Page. I have never seen Like Powell so that could be great. We are thinking of taking one night off of Bryce and having just 2 nights there, and taking a night from Grand Canyon (South Rim) so we could have 2 nights at Page. We have a 24 ft. Motorhome. We are not towing so we will be doing all touring in the motorhome and also with our mountain bikes. Any place that you would particularly recommend we stay in Page? Looks like Wahweap Campground and RV Park would be a good choice for us. We may end up there for Memorial Day weekend but at least we would not be in Zion for the Holiday.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon help?

Wahweap Campground is nice, it is inside Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, so you'll have to pay the park entrance fee. Here are some other ideas, although Alstrom Point is not somewhere I'd take an RV ->: antelopecanyon.az/camping-and-rv-options-nea…

You should definitely get an America The Beautiful Federal Lands Access Pass. For just $80, this card will get you into all National Parks, Monuments and Federal Fee Areas in the country for 1 year's time. It will pay for itself on this trip. You can pre-order it online at http://store.usgs.gov/pass or just pick it up at the first park you hit on your trip.

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon help?

Thanks! We have the senior pass version of the America the Beautiful Pass. It's good for life and we can get in free to any National Park.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon help?

Should you wish to go "paper". The Good Sam/Woodalls campground publication"has it all" ... Happy trails ... carracar

Edited: 6:34 pm, November 15, 2017
So Cal
Level Contributor
11,640 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon help?

FYI, I hope you're prepared for Yosemite reservations to be at least as popular and difficult to get than Arches and Zion.

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon help?

Oh yes...we are prepared. We will make the reservations for Yosemite on January 15. For all of these places we will have two people registered with the website, with lists of camp preferred sites, all ready with 2 laptops going the second the clock says go!

Reply to: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon help?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted